I am wondering if anyone has tried to make a dock with 8” PVC pipe filled with concrete for the posts? I have an existing dock that has seen its better days, and I want to build a new dock in its place.

Here is what I am thinking. I will take a piece of 8” PVC pipe and place a couple blocks of wood on top, and hammer it in to the pond floor with a sledge hammer. I have already test this out and I was able to hammer a piece in about 2 feet without a problem.

Then when I can’t hammer it any deeper, I will take my manual ice auger, with an 8 foot extension and start drilling the mud out of the pvc pipe. The Auger fits perfect inside the 8" pipe. This may be slow going, but I am persistent.

I may be able to then hammer the PVC pipe in deeper after augering some of the mud out. If I cannot hammer the pipe in deeper, I will still keep drilling deeper and deeper until I get down at least 4 feet.

Then I could place a couple of pieces of rebar in pipe and fill with concrete. And then put a J bolt in the top where I will secure my dock frame.

What do you guys think? Will it work? This is on a 2 acre pond.

My neighbor who is a perfectionist and has a 2 acre pond of his own, suggested that I drain the pond 6 foot. Then get our there and pour some footers and then a pier on top. I really didn’t want to do that…but I will if that is the right way to do it. I was hoping my idea above would work.

I guess I could try my idea and let everyone know if it was good idea or not.

btw...This forum is awesome! You guys have some great ideas on here!

Thanks!

Sean