Originally Posted By: esshup
Brettski:

Knowing what I'm going thru to get rid of all the dirt, (still dealing with that) where did all of yours go?

That is the reason it took some 4 years to find the right property. The pondsite was a natural bowl waiting for a dam. When my dirt guy first walked the woods of the pondsite and we got to the area where the dam would be located, he stopped and his eyes widened as he noted "do you know what you've got here? If you could just drop a dam in this valley, you've got a natural pond, even without excavation". I think he was waiting for a big reaction like "Wow...really?". Instead, he got "yeah, I know...thats' why I bought it. Why is that such a big deal?". He said that he doesn't very many of 'em that are this natural.
Make no mistake; we moved thousands of yards of clay and dirt. The trick is to push to somewhere closeby to make it disappear. This is where a good dirt guy earns his keep. He suggested that we sacrafice some of the shoreline to create a roadway around the perimeter, providing a place to move the soil from the pond basin. Same thing with a building site. Of course, the dam and filling in the valley behind it was substantial.
-
summary