Originally Posted By: esshup

The duct work is the older galvanized tin. What insulation works better, the bubble/foil wrap or the fiberglass/plastic faced?

The foil/bubble paper R-values aren't great when contacting what it's insulating. Fiberglass is likely better if you're just plannng to wrap the ductwork. Keep in mind that the vapor barrier belongs on the HEATED side. About 90% of the DIY crawlspace insulation jobs I've seen have been installed wrong.

I think I saw an Owens Corning pamphlet one time that said you lose like 40% of your heat through the floor.

Esshup: $160 for gas doesn't sound all that bad....I guess it depends on how much wood you're going to burn and the cost of wood. If you could save $100/mo on heating and cooling...that's still only $1200/yr and would take quite a while to recoup you're costs...possibly as long as the life of the system. Burning wood in addition to using gas is kinda a wild card that is hard to put a value on.

Last edited by Ryan Freeze; 01/30/09 12:03 PM.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking