Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
One more thing my hubby was wondering about...the geo tech stated that the temperature coming into the unit was in the 20s whereas ground loops are much warmer coming in. The unit cannot build as much heat with 20 degree water. In essence this would make one think that ground loops are much more efficient contrary to all what I've read and heard that pond loops were. Thoughts? d

The temperature should be above 34F even in the winter. Return should be about 2 degrees less. Check the pressure in the loop. Pressure in my loop is about 60 psig in the winter and 80 psig in the summer. The pumps are designed for pressurized loop and if the pressure is low they might cavitate. Another possibility is that the loop wasn't properly purged of air. The guy who installed my loop brought different pump when they were filling the loop and explained to me that the circulation pump will not purge air out of the coils. I had small amount of air coming out of the loop for about six months after it was installed. I could hear the circulation pumps chatter every few minutes as the air bubble passed trough them. Therefore I decided to install air trap to bleed the air out. I replaced one of the elbows with a T and sweat in about 3ft of 1" vertical pipe with a small ball valve on the top. Then I kept venting the air until coolant came out. I repeated the process until the pumps got consistently quiet. I also used the new pipe for a pressure gauge installation.

Last edited by Ladia; 01/29/09 06:46 AM.

We live in a barn (aircraft hanger) converted to a house.
0.7 ac leaky pond.