Terry - You have received some good advice so far but you have to be able to sift through it. After reading this far some of it IS good but conflicting.

Jayman is definately correct about minnows of unknown orgin. No doubt, kids or a couple well meaning fishermen have already stocked this pond in their own way. God knows what is in your pond. Since you are seeing fish in the pond, ideally the pond should be killed off and start over from scratch. This may not be feasable for you since the money is probably not available and it is a community pond that is still vulnerable to unwanted fish stockings.

Then what is the next best way to proceed?. Since you don't have full control of the pond as far as what goes in or out, I think probably the best you can hope for is an average LMB-bgill and maybe catfish fishery. You probably will not be able to manage it properly for trophy LMB or trophy bluegill due to lack of ability to control harvest and fishing pressure.

Firstly, I think you should do some homework and try and find out what species some of the minnows are and what the current size of the food base is like. Set some baited, drab colored minnow traps or use some baited lift nets. Keep in mind that minnows are minnows/shiners and small game fish are considered fingerlings; two completely separate fish categories. Small bass or bgill are not minnows they are fingerlings. Try to determine if you have bullheads, sunfishes other than bgill and if you have carp. Presence of these species will determine somewhat how the bass / predators are mnanaged. "Regular" minnows and shiners will not cause the pond to have long term "issues" and management problems. LMB will easily control minnows and shiners; adults of other trash fish are a different story. Seining and electrofishing are possible options for sampling the current fish community, but maybe not feasable in your situation.

Secondly. Once you get an idea of what problem fish are in the pond and their numbers then this will give you some idea of how to stock the LMB as far as numbers and sizes. Too many larger bass could overeat the food source, but on the positive, they will clean up practically all the existing small trash. Stocking larger bass this spring, even if they are stunted, will probaly result in a bass spawn which will produce lots of young bass. Without proper food they will not grow very fast and they will result in more stunted bass.

I tend to agree with G.Grimes & Todd (Overtonfisheries) that 200 small adult LMB (50/ac) are too many for a new pond situation even it it has a existing YOUNG trash fish population. However stocking fingerling or even 4"-6" LMB bass will allow the existing trash fish to get a head start and foot hold in your pond. Again determining what those "MINNOWS"
are and what their relative abundance is will be a big help in what type & number of predators to stock.

I think a middle of the road plan for stocking of young adult LMB is acceptable in your situation. Maybe only stock 50-60 larger (10"-13") bass +or- 12. Keep in mind that these LMB are likely stunted; coming from an overcrowded pond. However with stocking fewer bass, you can now be able to add (hook and line catching) a reasonable number of adult bluegill (not hybrids.) Their 2006 offspring should be able to feed the new youngser 2006 bass. George has given you a pretty good number of adult bgill (4.5"or >5") to stock for each larger bass, i.e. seven +/- 2. Seven times 50 bass is around 300-400 bluegill which you may be able to actually accomplish by fishing. NOTE THAT stocking 25-30 LMB and 200 bgill may be even a BETTER stocking plan. 25 hungry bass, 12" long can do a lot of hunting and eat a lot of "minnows" during the spring and summer until the young bass are big enough to themselves be forage items. The fewer of the larger bass you initially stock the faster and better they will grow.

The parasite and disease introduction potential from introducing wild fish is a definate risk. I would not do it in my pond. But this in not my or your pond it is a community pond and these unwanted problems are likely to occur anyway sooner or later in an "open to the "public"" pond. I am pretty sure that local residents or their relatives will always be sneaking in extra fish to "help" the pond. I think you will just have do the best you can with what you have to work with. Over time if you and a home owners association discover that this fishery is not working out to your goals then the pond can always be killed off and restocked. Good luck and keep us posted on what is happening with your new fishery. WE are interested what you decided to do and on how it is working out. We are here to help with advice.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management