Great stuff Jeff. We did get one of those for cats and used it briefly but gave it to our grandma who's had a cat problem lately too. I think it needs new batteries among other things.
I actually have not seen the herons around lately but part of that is that their aren't any big pretty goldfish and as you can see the elodea keeps them pretty safe.(I'd imagine this stuff would be incredibly obnoxious in a big pond...in this little one is is a great method of nutrient export). I won't be home till winter though...would it still be possible to pick up fish then? I'd suppose spring would be best? Do you think Sacramento perch(how many) would work ok in this pond? What about the other two?

Do you have contact info for Goldenstate bait, and maybe the other hatchery?

Their is actually also a pond project going on at my highschool I graduated from. They currently have goldfish in their(for some odd reason the petstore reccomended convicts as algae eaters which of course didn't last the winter). Some natives for that pond would be great too.

Joe: Any fishing would be catch and release to teach a kid or two how to fish. Of course if the pond gets to crowded could always remove a fish or two and then cull the little ones.

We did add rosy reds/fatheads a few times in the early years of the pond...but they never persisted, I think it had something to do with the goldfish and bullfrogs eating them. In any case I think the 3 spines have taken over that niche though the former are likely superior forage fish.

Last edited by Critterguy; 09/27/08 08:48 PM.