Originally Posted By: Brett295
Keeping these records has realy helped a lot with managing the population. I am able to be more objective with removal of fish. A lot of times before the records I would throw back fish that put up a good fight or were a little bigger than others. The records realy made me aware of the lack of forage and the over abundance of LMB. I know now to remove the LMB that are below the standard weight.

Good for you Brett. The first full year that we had our pond I was calculating RW on the bass that we caught. Bass RWs were low and so we stocked more forage. Year three RWs of bass are much better.

I had an interesting conversation with Bob Lusk about using RW to determine culling procedures. It's probably one of the best pond management tools available.

What you said is key - it allows you to be more objective. I use to do the same thing as you did. I threw back everything, not any more. Part of maintaining a healthy pond is knowing what to cull.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)