Dmiles, I travel to AL often, and have heard the same story of chicken manure for pond sealer. 1 guy that told me had a degree in forestry. Dunno. It's salty and salt may help. A layer of anerobic (or is it aerobic) bacteria on the pond bottom may help and the manure might ferterlize that. This is certain, northeast AL has plenty of poultry farms! I've also read where limestone fines will help seal water. I asked a geo-petroleum engineer 'bout this at my church. He thinks that if the fines were blanketed/buffeted from the water with a few inches of soil, the limestone would fill in the grainier soil gaps and help it to become impervious. Noticed that Otto used fines to pack around a pond overflow pipe in "Pond Boss" a while back. Fort Payne has a limestone mine as well as several in "Limestone" county near Huntsville. The gley idea sounds intriguing, yet how would it form a permanent seal if you put in aereation? You're right about the bentonite being unavailable or too pricy to be shipped in to the AL area.

Last edited by SoSauty; 08/03/08 12:03 AM. Reason: added thought

Self-educated rednecks, the real intelligentsia.