Ric RES reproduction #s in the material and as talked about are yearly #s. Based on those #s it makes no difference if they spawn all at once or twice in parts. Either way you get the same # of eggs/offspring on average.

If you want YP then you should use them. YP are good to eat but I don't know about anyone eating GShiners. I think either YP or GShiners will do ok. You will have to manage the pond population either way , so go with what you want. I was just pointing out that there are reports here that say YP may stunt in ponds with just SMB as a predator. That could be cured if it becomes a problem by fishing , seining , trapping or adding more or different predators (like HSB or LMB or more SMB). You can adjust the YP spawn somewhat by adding brush or taking it out. Also you can remove YP egg ribbons from the brush pre hatch if needed. I like FH better than gams because they are bigger . Neither would be an adequate replacement for the YP or GShiners or RES as SMB forage. As the SMB get bigger they need bigger food than just FH or Gams. FH are the better forage for YP IMO as they don't stay right on the bank.

Based on your comments I would go with FH and YP.

Last edited by ewest; 07/31/08 01:31 PM.