My humble 2 cents:
You can raise BSFL in a barrel with lots of holes but you would need to assess your needs. I have one of those barrels and at first it was great. I'm new to composting and I'm not embarrassed to say, I’m not very good at it. When I found the BSFL and figured out what they were I was pretty happy. They made quick work of all the cantaloupe waste we had and a lot of other stuff and I don’t have to worry about putting anything else (i.e. grass clipping or whatever else you’re supposed to put into it) into it and no turning! It wasn’t until I put a hot water heater pan under it that I got serious and also started to have problems. My herd is not as extensive as it once was and I’ve been loosing a lot of tiny larvae into the water. The adults are easy to get out because of their weight the little ones are like trying to catch tiny pieces of Styrofoam, it’s next to impossible. Next time I go to town I’m getting a turkey baster.

This barrel system is not very efficient. It was okay when I was just looking to compost kitchen waste but now that I’m harvesting them it’s another story. I’ve been plucking these little darlings out of the water one and two, sometimes three, at a time. It’s a pain and time consuming. I do this morning and evening. I tried putting some ramps on the inside of the barrel but alas they prefer going out the holes. To those of you who are handy with being able to design things and then to be able to make them, I’m jealous!

Last night a frog jumped into the water so I’m supposing they’re steeling my larvae. If it’s not one thing it’s another with this system.

Now for my really good news, I told my husband I sold some more larvae. He said, “WOW, in ten times you’d have that thing paid for.” My reply was, “yah, and it wouldn’t take me as long and I wouldn’t be sitting here scooping out larvae.” I should have mentioned it would give me more time to clean the house but didn’t think of it until just now. That might have helped him to decide to get me a Biopod faster! He’s thinking about it so I hope I won’t have to wait for Christmas. He got online and was looking at them. I’m pretty excited.

One question though, GW. After awhile how do you get out the stuff they don’t consume and their waste? I figure you wouldn’t have to empty the whole thing just enough to lesson the volume. I asked this question on your blog but I’m not sure it went through. Oh, and I told my husband we had to get the Biopod through you. I’m sure I’ll need all the support I can get and I know you’re able to give it (I won’t go into my story as that would be off topic, of the BSFL that is).

Thanks
Tweeza