Originally Posted By: mrgrackle

I understand that you're selling the Biopod and you started this thread (as well as a few on some other boards I frequent...? nanfa.org, backyardaquaponics.com.. could be a different biopod guy) but lets not make things up and say you can't keep a consistant bsf colony in a perforated container.

mrgrackle, I've been asked by a few people why the BSF larvae in their compost bins either disappeared or nearly did so. It happens in compost bins and I believe it would be a very rare occurrence in a properly designed BSF unit. I agree that my use of the word "never" was inaccurate, but to say I'm making things up is also not completely accurate and perhaps a bit rude.

Originally Posted By: mrgrackle
So I had a colony collapse. It looks like all the smaller maggots have dissappeared and the only ones I can find in abundance in my unit are larger maggots just before the pupa stage.

A perforated container allows the larvae to leave when conditions become less favorable. That could happen if the food supply is interrupted, if the compost gets too hot, or if other insects such as ants invade it. A more closed container reduces or eliminates these factors. Even in my homemade unit I've seen large numbers of immature larvae migrate into the collection bucket, but I still had control of them. When I say a consistent colony I mean a steady population like the 10's of thousands of individuals I've maintained at one time in a 12 X 20 X 14 inch container. My homemade unit is much more efficient for raising BSFL than a compost bin and the BioPod is more efficient than my design. I'm happy if you or anyone else wants to encourage BSF in their compost bins, just don't expect it to perform on the same level as a BioPod or homemade equivalent.

I've spent a huge amount of time and energy giving away what I've learned about BSF. I've coached people about what they need to consider if they choose to build their own BSF unit. I sent one nanfa member (PM for name) two separate shipments of BSF eggs and larvae, at my own expense, even though he made it clear he would rather build his own unit. He's a self-proclaimed tinkerer and I'm sure he won't buy a BioPod, but he's enthusiastic about BSF so I'm encouraging him.

Sure, I love the idea of selling a product I believe in, one that is manufactured by a company I believe in. If I make an incorrect statement I want people to correct me, but I expect people to do so with respect. I've enjoyed your posts up to this point mrgrackle and hopefully we can get back to sharing experiences and opinions in a way that is consistent with this forum.

I've never posted on backyardaquaponics.

Edit: The nanfa member offered to cover shipping both times, or to send me some of his earthworms in exchange for the BSF. I'll probably take his offer of the worms at some point when I have time to work with them.