Russ asks: "As I'm thinking about framing material, I'd like to hear your opinion on using a hoola hoop for a top frame?" The main problem that I foresee with the hoola hoop is its lack of rigidity. But, when one wraps the plasic mesh around the frame it does tend to strengthen the top frame. What you don't wnat to happen is when lifting or handling the cage with a weight load of fish or attached algae that the top frame bends or collapses due to weight stress. Then the top frame would have to be replaced. That is quite a bit of needless work to detach and re-attach a top frame. If you try it, let us know how well it works long term.

I would not be afraid to try a frame similar to Cecil's box frames made from PVC. It should be no problem for smaller cages (3 ft sq or less) using just one square or rectangular top frame and the rest of the cage of just plastic netting. If constant stand alone and smooth walls are desired then use 4 vertical legs; one on each corner. The last cage that I built, instead of wooden legs, I used legs made of 1" dia PVC. I like them. They are rigid and do not tend to float which often causes the cage to want to float sideways if the wooden legs are too big around. I can send photos if you want to see how I attached legs to the top frame and cage.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/16/08 08:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management