We have pretty much run the full cycle of the planned W.H.I.P. project. It played out just as it was laid out. The only departure would be the amount of cash that I ultimately invested to hold up my end of the bargain. (why is this a recurring theme?)
-
Brief summary of the project:
LNP is a 44 ac. parcel of mostly timber. After completion of the pond, we had about 5 acres of unvegetated, open areas. They were divided amongst 3 zones; 2 fields and the third was a collection of pockets around the pond. We reached out to our local NRCS div of the USDA for help to develop these open areas with vegetation suitable to enhance the wildlife environment. Our focus is the bird environment.
We have not a single conifer at LNP; this bothered me. I love pine trees. This became part of the plan. After a couple of meetings on-site with our NRCS agent, and a visit from our state wildlife biologist, a 2 year plan was hatched. The first year, we would plant all zones with native grasses, both warm and cool season. Most of these same zones would also receive a heavy dose of forbes (wildflowers). The second year, 400 conifers and 800 shrubs would be planted into specific sections of these same zones (we have left substantial areas unpopulated with trees/shrubs). The idea is to have the grasses and forbes fill in while the (slower growing) trees and shrubs claim their space.
-
The process came off like clockwork. The budget veered slightly, but I knew that would be the case. (Come on; it's too close to the pond that we just built. Get used to it, right?) Here's how the $ shakes out.
The government calculates the project before we even start and affixes a dollar value to make it happen. The figures they use are numbers based on the necessary minimum amount of seed and labor required. If I was Johnny Appleseed and did all this work with a shovel and hiking boots, I might be able to hit their numbers. Unfortunately, we don't own the necessary equipment to drill the seed or mechanically plant the trees/shrubs, so we are forced to hire it out. The manual approach was off my radar for this project. Also, we took their recommended forbes seed quantity and quadrupled it (flower seed is a BIG $ hit). We also up'd the quality of tree and shrub seedlings, purchasing older stock.
The government uses their base figures, calculates the overal cost, and reimburses 75% of their number. We enter into a contractual agreement to accept this reimbursement. The life of the contract is 5 years. My only commitment is to make sure it happens and to maintain these newly developed areas to aid in their growth success. We cannot do anything else within these areas to significantly alter the environment. After these 5 years, I can do whatever I want with these zones.
The government calc'd a total cost for the entire 2-year project at $2100. 75% of that number is about $1600; that's our cost-share payment (by the way, this $1600 reimbursement is taxable...grrrr!). Doing it the way WE wanted to do it, it wound up costing about $3500. Remove 25% taxes from the $1600 = $1200 net cost-share assistance (did I get that right JHAP?). Bottom line; it cost 3500 - 1200 = $2300 out-of-pocket.
-
Any regrets? Nope...not yet, at least. It was a small project, comparatively, but $1200 cash is $1200 cash. We were going to do this to these areas anyway, so why not? 5 years is a small amount of time for commitment. I would surely recommend anyone to consider the W.H.I.P. program (or any of the NRCS sponsored land development programs). W.H.I.P. link