Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I don't want to be negative but I read somwhere that these power lines could be linked to rare forms of leukemia if you live under them or spend too much time under them. It may just be a coincidence but my father-in-law lived next to a power transformer station and died of a rare form or leukemia.

Before we bought this place, I did a lot of research. I was unable to find any credible links to health issues. In my younger days I was closely associated with the health effects of Radio Frequency electric and magnetic fields on various parts of the body. I worked in a slightly different area that studied and fixed the effects of strong electromagnetic fields, but for a number of years I was in many meetings per month that co-discussed the subject of health effects. And, there are many. Our bodies, and all organs in our bodies have resonances that are directly affected by electromagnetic fields. WWII aircraft Radar and cataracts is just one example. Today, heart arrhythmias are repaired using radio signals to burn out nodes within the heart that cause anomalies.

From everything I've been able to find, the levels at 60 Hz must be magnitudes higher in microTesla's than we are exposed to, to have health effects. We would need significant exposure to levels like those found in MRI machines.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Eastland
lol, Cecil is thinking about feeding his fish with a no cost flourecent light zapper...if only the power company comes thru \:\)

No, just wanted to see if Ken was pulling my leg. In his part of the country telling tall tales is quite common. My sister lives in southeastern Kentucky so I should know.

No leg pulling here. Last night I tried to get pictures of me holding a compact fluorescent and a normal 4-foot fluorescent bulb. Unfortunately, they all turned out like the photos they show on the TV shows about Out of Body Experiences and ghosts roaming the bedrooms of haunted houses.

The bulbs do not illuminate at full brightness by any means, but they do definitely illuminate. They would not be bright enough to build a bug zapper.

As for fences, my garden is real close to one of the towers, and directly below the lines. The garden fence is approximately 30 x 60, and fully insulated for an electric charger. It is four lines of standard electric fence wire. It does not seem to gather any kind of a charge. For some reason, the zappiest thing I've got is my flyrod, with my jigging rod coming in second.

Maybe late next winter, or early spring, when things are really slow, we could have a big "GET BUZZED" party under my power lines. Everybody bring a fish or two, I'll do the cooking and provide the rest.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!