Goldenpond,

The Redear Sunfish (Lepomis microlophus) is a close relative of the Bluegill. They get a little longer than BG, but are not quite as tall as a BG of the same length. The do not reproduce as prolifically as BG. In addition to providing alternative forage and fishing opportunities, they are equipped with pharyngeal teeth which let them eat snails. They are often stocked to lower snail numbers and hence the incidence of snail-born parasites such as yellow and black grubs in fish flesh.

They were originally native to the area of the U.S. roughly South and East of the Wabash River in Indiana. They have some trouble Wintering over in colder water; the current extended range includes the lower peninsula of Michigan and, farther West, at least as far North as (some of) Nebraska. At these Northernmost limits, they may not survive in all bodies of water and may require careful Winter aeration to prevent supercooling.

I do not think RES would survive in "Minnesnowta" (I like that spelling!). If you are interested in snail/parasite control, the northern sunfish equivalent of the RES is the Pumpkinseed (Lepomis Gibbosus) which should survive in MN but does not get as big as BG. Or you could stock Yellow Perch, which Cecil Baird reports will consume and control snails. You would have to watch either of these species to prevent overpopulation, just like with BG.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]