Here is the first segment showing the taxidermy work in progress that is going into the diorama that is being done for the South Dakato State University fisheries lab. The work is being done by me in cooperation with Pond Boss magazine.

This will be on display in its glass case at the Pond Boss convention.

The diorama will be complete with natural pond habitat and species that may be found in a South Dakota pond, which are a Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegill, yellow perch, walleye, black crappie, northern pike, pumpkinseed and black bullhead.

Here is the start of the project:

Largemouth bass donated by Bill Cody of Malinta, Ohio ready to have a pattern traced.

Smallmouth bass out of one of my Indiana ponds.

Taking thickness measurements of the largemouth for the follwing pattern.

A pattern of the largemouth with pertinent measurements that are used to carve a body from soft foam, which the skin will be glued to.

One of those phenomenal Bruce Condello Nebraska bluegills and a large yellow perch taken from one of my Indiana ponds.

Dental Plaster inpression being made of the yellow perch and crappie, which the preserved skins will be placed back into and filled with a special fish filler to duplicate the exact anatomy of the original fish. Before the filler completely sets the fish can be positioned in any way desirable.

The plaster impression once the fish are removed.

Dental plaster impression being made of small walleye and Condello bluegill.

The plaster impresson once the fish are removed.

Northern pike and pattern just before the fish was skinned. This pike was given to me by a customer and caught in a local northern Indiana lake. As in the largemouth, and smallmouth, the body for the northern will also be carved out of soft foam. The pike will have a bluegill in his choppers.

Stay tuned for more pictures farther in the process when I get time to post them. I will be documenting this from start to finish. If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to contribute.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/16/08 01:35 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.