Grasshopper,

There are currently two ponds on my place, one with aeration, one without. One pond (Bg/Bass)is 110' diameter with an average depth of 10 feet. In this pond I installed a DIY system based on information gleaned from this board and its members. The system consists of two 9" disc diffusers, one at a depth of 8', the other at 12'. The diffusers are about 20-25 feet apart. Each has its own airline. The 11' disc has a 1/2" black poly lead weighted line attached to it, the 8' disc has a garden hose attached. Both lines are married to a single Gast compressor rated for 2.6 cfm @ 10 psi. I bought it from a surplus center with it costing around $54 including shipping. At the time of purchase, they had a number of them in stock but a quick check of their site does not show any now. The diffusers I purchased from Diffuser Express for around $16. They were special ordered with 0.5 mm slits which may be standard now. The compressor sits in my barn on a timer......it is loud, at least to me, when its running. The compressor is set to wake the neighbors up at 11 p.m.(just kidding) and shutdown at 4 a.m.. At my current electirc rates, I guess the system is costing $5-7/mo to run. Both diffusers produces a nice rolling "boil" and is probably overkill for this little puddle. My reason for aeration is twofold (1) Maintain good water quality with the main focus being D.O.. My last water sample showed a D.O. of 9 ppm. I'm happy. The second reason ..........is to wake the neighbors at 11 p.m. : )

Hope this helps.

Forgot to add this. Pond Boss ran a bunch of articles on aeration in its last issue.

Russ

Last edited by Russ; 06/07/08 07:00 PM.