Recently I needed to remove a few fish from the holding pond. Today I spotted this smallmouth in distress in the shallow end of the pond with what appeared to be a growth on it's eye. Turns out it was it's eyeball hanging out! The fish was removed and euthanized and will be sold.

What caused this? Well after close examination I think I did the damage while fishing. There is a tiny hole in the eyeball and there is a rip type groove in the upper side of the eyesocket (see picture). I can only surmise that I foulhooked this fish in the eyeball when I set the hook and yanked the eyeball almost completely out. Or I hooked the eyeball and the eyeball was dislodged when I fought the fish. As the hook exited the eyeball it cut a groove in the edge of the eyesocket.

So if you think catch and release can kill a few fish it appears you can do so without even seeing the fish! My cousin once reeled in a pair of rainbow trout lips because he set the hook so hard!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/01/08 05:39 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.