Originally Posted By: GW
Can someone give advice about how to rig this exactly? Do you rig it like a twister tail grub or just a piece of worm trail from the back (bottom? curve?) of the hook?

I played around with this rig while targeting RES the other day. In 20 minutes I caught two small LMB and no Lepomis.

GW, If it works for me, it must not matter how you rig the worm too much. Bruce used about 1/3" of nightcrawler down at LL2. I use a whole small (2.5" - 3") earthworm, just speared through in about 3 places (front, middle, tail) like Grandpa Gallus used for bobber fishing.

Presentation may be more important. Bruce says to let it sink until it's just off the bottom, then (IIRC) do a medium to slow retrieve with little jerks built in. He says those jerks really catch the fish's eye (and, subsequently, lips).

I have been varying retrieval speed and jerk period/amplitude, searching for a "sweet spot", and have been having success over a fairly wide range . But I am running it right on or just over the bottom.

Hey, Bruce - give us the expert rundown!

P.S. I am looking forward to being able to try this (and other fishing techniques) out on a primarily RES audience in mu second pond in the future. It's hard (for me) to figure out catching Redears where they are outnumbered by BG.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]