What is a trophy size largemouth in central Indiana? I would say minimum of 4 lbs. but I do mount bass for people that are tickled to death by 3 + pound fish. Biggest bass I've taken in up here in northeastern Indiana was this spring at 8 lbs. 12 oz. out of a private pond.

In my business I see lots of 4 lb. bass, a fair amount of 5 pounders, and only occasionally see 6 lb. plus fish. Anything 7 pounds or more is quite rare. However, I have see a decline in the size of the bass I receive over the years and have been doing taxidermy for almost 20 years. I have several guesses as to why this is but they may be only speculation:

1.) Lots of pressure on bass now, and I have learned in one of my own ponds that once a bass is captured on an artifical once or twice it's very unlikely you will catch him on that bait again. I truly believe with all the catch and release, bass are being conditioned to avoid certain artificals.

2.) The mostly catch and release fad has caused many ponds to be bass heavy and reduce the size of the average bass.

The reason I don't beleive bass are being overfished vs. conditioned, is the catch and release mentality, and a study I have seen on a local lake chain that receives lots of tournament pressure showing little effect on the total number of bass.

One thing I can say emphatically is the very biggest bass I take in come from private waters with few exceptions.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.