Here's a very interesting post from the "NEFGA" pond managment site, by a member named Brian...

Found this on another DNR website:

"Not all leeches feed on blood. Some eat only plants or other organic materials. Treatment with copper sulfate can eliminate leeches from a pond. For ponds with moderately hard water, a concentration of 5 ppm copper sulfate is usually enough to kill the leeches. Because leeches swim, the entire waterbody must be treated be effective. Because copper sulfate also kills algae, treatment of ponds containing a large amount of algae can cause a fish kill due to oxygen depletion after decomposition of the plants."

I was unaware that you could control leeches with copper sulfate. Would this apply to any other parasites? This could be especially valuable for my Dad's pond as long as I keep the concentrations at sub-lethal levels for fish.

Anybody also know what Copper Sulfate concentrations will kill fish? And what concentration will kill algae?

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 03/13/08 12:37 PM. Reason: "cooper" sulfate didn't make any sense.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.