Hi Green Ghost. The best way I can explain my feeling about BSF is by comparing them to butterflies and caterpillars. Please keep in mind that this analogy has little to do with science (which you've already read) and is more about my gut feeling.

I imagine there would be a greater risk if you collected larvae from a decaying carcass, but in a situation where you're monitoring the scraps I doubt there would be a significant risk of infection. The adult BSF are only a few days old at any point, and if their eggs are deposited in a unit with "cleam" food scraps I don't see much chance of spreading toxins or diseases.

We're lucky to have someone on the the forum now who knows a lot more about BSF then I do. Maybe thebiopod will see this and comment. You may want to consider joining the forum at thebiopod.com and pose your question there. I've been intending to register there but haven't found the time yet...

Welcome to Pond Boss, you can get a lot of great help with all questions related to fish biology as well as pond info here.