All good advice above Bbjr.

As Dave said above, check out your local regulations to determine what you can live in on your property first.

A new RV's loses a very large percentage of it's value the moment you drive (or tow) one off the lot, then you would have to look at the cost of upgrading the water heater, septic system, etc as mentioned above. If you can find a good used one then you would have less drop in value but might have to contend with maintenance issues. So in my mind you would have to compare the total of the loss on the RV value; plus the upgrade costs; plus registration costs; plus maintenance costs versus the cost of rent to determine which option makes more sense financially.

There is a type of trailer called a "Park Model Travel Trailer" that is basically a tow and park trailer. Generally it will have more room and features than other types of RVs. Google "Park Model Travel Trailer" and you will see what I'm talking about. You can get an idea about costs in your area on http://www.rvonline.com

I completely understand your desire to live on the property during construction - I'm facing the same delima.

Trailer living is very close quarters. There isn't much insulation in exterior walls so you'll be running the heat a lot in the winter. Interior walls have almost no sound buffer. And there will probably be only one toilet.

A family of four living in one for any extended period of time will either become very close or they will become axe murderers.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)