RobA -

I find water willow all over the bank areas of the cold water creeks and rivers in the Ozarks as well as on the banks of the Missouri River. I'm not sure of the distribution, but I imagine it probably grows in your area as well... and it is likely what you've seen on the rivers in your area.

From my experience water willow spreads fairly slowly and is pretty easy to control, and it provides some excellent cover for fry close to shore. It is also considered to be a good erosion prevention plant, and it will compete well with chara in the shallows. My guess is that it would also compete well some of the other less desirable plants, helping to keep them in check.

I fish a lake in NW Missouri that has some growing in a few areas, and it always seems to be a fish magnet.

I have recently read several studies that are encouraging in regard to the plant. In the studies, they introduced the plant by planting plugs. The results indicated greatly increased recruitment of fish. Particularly, one of them noted substantially increased and more consistent crappie production.

I'm actually planning on adding some water willow to my 12 acre pond this spring.

Last edited by Weissguy; 01/23/08 10:27 PM.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.