I have read documentation of GSF taking over ponds but have not PERSONALLY seen it. The various State records of their growth potential are pretty conclusive as regards their comparison to other sunfish. However, every pond is its own ecosystem and is different.

At one time, about 25% of my catch was GSF. For awhile, I tossed them on the bank. Then I started thinking about their more cylindrical shape and figured they were the perfect bass food. Now, I seldom see or catch one. They just haven't been able to overcome time, LMB predation or BG spawning competition.

Like RES, they only spawn annually and neither provide a plentiful forage base to feed/raise other predators. As a forage base, neither are useful and yet the RES are prized for their snail eating tendency. I guess that part makes sense but I find that everything in the water is a predator of everything else and all small fish will predate on flukes. Gambusia are known for their larvae eating but anything that sees a larvae will eat it.

I still have a couple of whoppers that come to feed. If I see them when fishing, I pull the bait away from them because I hate to stress those old guys/gals. If caught, I handle and release them very carefully.

I consider them a beautiful fish and a very limited or non existant threat when stocked with LMB and BG.

BTW, my favorite dogs and people have been mutts. I kinda resemble that remark.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP