Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Km17, Jhust, Cionweest, Kansan, myriadeyes
18,588 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,109
Posts559,622
Members18,588
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,725
ewest 21,550
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,198
Who's Online Now
12 members (Tinylake, Theo Gallus, Catch N 8 NTex, Sunil, Fishingadventure, Jhust, DeerTexas, catscratch, LANGSTER, SSJSayajin, FishinRod, Boondoggle), 1,177 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Alligator:
I was down this weekend and nobody complained. All the clearing is complete for this section of property. I went over and mowed one of my neighbor’s ditches. My dozer operator hauled (no charge) a few big rocks for my other neighbor to help build a rock garden that she wanted - they have been well working with me but were upset at how many trees ere removed.
Sounds like you have been a great neighbor and are going out of your way to be helpful. You'll probably always be an "outsider", I figure I always will be, but I think that given your willingness to help the neighbors out that they'll come around.

Quote:

Thanks for letting me rant – I feel better now. \:D
That's what this forum is all about. Heck I rant all to the time to DIED via email, telephone and in person (he's real patient by the way). We all struggle with similar issues. It's great to have a place to vent and discuss issues when you feel the need.

Keep us posted on what is going on.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
that does it....i'm changin my doorlocks, phone numbers, and e-mail address...... \:D

GSF are people too!

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
DIED - do you have a hotline number for frustrated Bosses?

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Yes Please post JEFFS phone number on here,Im sure he'll be happy to talk to and listen to us rant at 3 in the morning \:D \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
that does it....i'm changin my doorlocks, phone numbers, and e-mail address...... \:D
You can run but you can't hide. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
DIED - do you have a hotline number for frustrated Bosses?
He does but most of the time you'll get a busy signal. Seems that another forum member is hogging up the phone line. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by TOM G:
Yes Please post JEFFS phone number on here,Im sure he'll be happy to talk to and listen to us rant at 3 in the morning \:D \:D
Uhh ohh.

Seems like time for an identity change. Let's see...

Jack Has a Pond - no, he already has a box.

Chucky Has a Pond - naw, sounds like someone is gonna get "slashed" to death.

Homer has a Pond - better contact the legal department, probably have to pay movie star royalties or something.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

W
W
I would trade 3 of ya'lls "bad" niegbors for one of mine, He is a real keeper..LOL

Proud Hooker!
Lunker
Lunker
Ohh man, you all don't even want me to start on neighbors. LOL I have lived here for 26 years, same spot, and have seen some come and go. I was an outsider when I got here and now I guess I am concidered a local. I married a local too. Any way, we have a neighbor behind us that has cows,we have horses, he won't help fix the fence coz its cost, and he wants to doze all the fence line and take out some of our big trees. I like having the trees for privacy. When his cows (bulls) come thru the fence and we call him to help get them out he says he will and then never does. If any of you have had 2 bulls fighting in your front yard while you are trying to sleep you know what I mean. Not fun. We are planing on putting in a new fence this fall so he will have a surprize. I really don't care if he helps pay for it or not. Gator that might be another reason the neighbors don't want you building fence, usually the cost is split between the property owners. Maybe they think you will ask them for their part.
Well I could tell many stories about neighbors, but it suffices to say no tresspassing signs help. \:D

Chris
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Chris, open your front gate and run them off. Funny just how interested he will be in fences then.

Seen my cows?

Yep, the Sheriff has them penned up and is feeding them at your expense (or not feeding them).

I find that people push until you push back. I learned that the hard way. It's called stealing grass.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
We've got good neighbors! The only character flaw .... they are "Cornhuskers". \:D

Seriously, they want to do all the fence work because I don't run any livestock. I still help out on the labor end of it.

I had to apologize this year because some of my "BIG" fish might have contaminated his bass-heavy stock pond. He said it was OK because they got in under the fence.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
Lunker
Lunker
Dave you are so right, we ran them home, I'm sure they felt a little sting when the shotgun went off. OOOOPPS. LOL

Chris
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
OK Guys and Gals, neighbors are getting a bad rap - let’s talk about GOOD neighbors, whether city folk or country folk.
Y’all remember..”Do unto others…..”?
“Love Thy neighbor…..”?

We have lived in the same house for 37 years and one neighbor is second generation family that our kids grew up together playing in our backyards – no fence here.

Next door is a house that has changed hands several times over the years – my wife always bakes a pie and casserole and I’ll mow their grass – sometimes makes good neighbors, but not always.
Our new neighbors all work, with kids in day care. We seldom see them, but they are very respectful.

Same way with my son that lives in the country – they involve themselves in church and community activities and look after each other when sick or need an extra piece of tractor equipment - or help to swap when baling hay.
Are they lucky or the way things should be?

IMO most country neighbor problems are with absentee owners who want a cow and fence to qualify for ag tax exemption.
Nobody makes a living raising cows these days unless you are a big operator with a few oil and gas wells – other wise they have “town job”.

I betcha Lusk has good neighbors – but I betcha he was a good neighbor first.

We live in a changing world out there - it’s too much ME, ME, Me, and instant gratification – but what do I know – I’m just an old coot dinosaur...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
You're right, george, I've got good, bad, and indifferent neighbors next door, alternating down the property line. I'm very glad to have the good ones.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by george1:

IMO most country neighbor problems are with absentee owners who want a cow and fence to qualify for ag tax exemption.
Nobody makes a living raising cows these days unless you are a big operator with a few oil and gas wells – other wise they have “town job”.

Ok, you lost me on this one -

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
As far as having a day job to support a farming/cattle habit, I totally understand.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
George, the only affordable way to own rural land is with an AG exemption.

I envy those with considerate rural neighbors. I have one about 1/2 mile from my place. The rest let their dogs run wild, their cows "stray", or sometimes their buddies get lost and hunt my land. In other words, the things I wouldn't consider doing. The result has, at times, been missing dogs, missing cows plus hunters with red faces and chapped posteriors.

BTW, since I have become a jerk, we tolerate each other pretty well.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dave, if I didn’t know you as well as I do, ‘maybe’ I would believe that you are a jerk.
Your neighbors just got to know how a guy from Mule Shoe Texas behaves….

I paid the going tax rate for years to keep from having to fool with cows – me and cows don’t get along well, if at all.

The only big disagreement I ever had with my cowboy brother was over a fence for his cows that he wanted me to help pay.

The only bad neighbor bull dozed my old fence and century old post oak trees – and 10 feet inside my property line to boot.
I’ve had more problems with city folk than country folk.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You guys need to come see some of the criminals --- ugh I mean neighbors around us. They make DD1s look like chumps. We have been there for four generations (1920s) and are outsiders to them. They don't think twice about shooting deer out of season off of us and hanging the the carcass (minus the good meat) over the gate. A couple got caught when they seriously threatened to kill the new game warden over the radio which was monitored by the sheriff. One burned down several houses and barns and about 5 acres of our timber. Cutting fences and chains on locked gates or boats to get access is common. If you confront one you better be sure you have the drop on him and a clear shot , if needed. We do have some good neighbors also.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
You guys need to come see some of the criminals --- ugh I mean neighbors around us. They make DD1s look like chumps. We have been there for four generations (1920s) and are outsiders to them. They don't think twice about shooting deer out of season off of us and hanging the the carcass (minus the good meat) over the gate. A couple got caught when they seriously threatened to kill the new game warden over the radio which was monitored by the sheriff. One burned down several houses and barns and about 5 acres of our timber. Cutting fences and chains on locked gates or boats to get access is common. If you confront one you better be sure you have the drop on him and a clear shot , if needed. We do have some good neighbors also.
Considering the source, I'm having a hard time thinking someone else might have worse neighbors than ewest.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I feel a lot better about the neighbors I have around my property after hearing ewest's account.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Connor Kelley, Mama Rachael
Recent Posts
I made a alotta babies...time for lmb?
by Tinylake - 06/25/24 07:29 PM
Hybrid Crappie
by LANGSTER - 06/25/24 06:56 PM
Pokeweed for Wildlife?
by FishinRod - 06/25/24 06:30 PM
I'm tired of dealing with murky water!!