Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Km17, Jhust, Cionweest, Kansan, myriadeyes
18,588 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,109
Posts559,622
Members18,588
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,725
ewest 21,550
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,198
Who's Online Now
13 members (Tinylake, chin_monster, H20fwler, Fishingadventure, WiPondGuy, Theo Gallus, Catch N 8 NTex, Sunil, Jhust, DeerTexas, catscratch, LANGSTER, SSJSayajin), 1,233 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
f1sh Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi people, well i read an interesting article about cheap pond construction, so far it's taken me 2 years and alot of blizters an blood to dig out my 75 by 65 7 foot deep pond. It's a shame we have all the land aproxx. 7 acres just to work with but no money in the budget to rent excavators at this time. I read how this guy for 10 bucks used the nitrate to make his 100x100 foot fish pond. I already got one almost that big but i wanna make it a good 1 acre. Can anyone tell me where i can get this stuff or how it works. I wish there was a way i could get the city to dig me one out, but i wouldn't know how to approach that. please help me if you can. peace!

N
N
News to me. I have never heard of using Ammonia Nitrate to assist in digging a pond. The only way that I could imagine that happening would be to dig a deep hole with post hole diggers and shovels. Go down about 20 feet, pour in a mixture of diesel and ammonia nitrate. Stick in a fuse. Light it and run.

You should hear a loud boom, and see a lot of dirt flying in the air. The sheriff will drive up and say, "Why are you laying out here in this pasture smoking?" To which you will reply, "Shucks officer, had you been here five minutes ago, you would have seen me while I was still on fire." Then, after coming home from the hospital, you will have a small pond. Not to mention a lot of broken windows and deaf cattle.

That is the only what that I could see that ammonia nitrate could help you dig a pond.

Nick Smith
F
f1sh Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yeah when I read the article I was like '' d@mn''.
I doubt I would ever do anything like that, it was just an interesting article. I'll try to find the link again and post it up. And plus i'd be hand feeding my fish with my stumped hands if I tried that alot i'd have to run up hill around a tree,i dont think i'd get out in time, i'd be part of the pond. well just something I read thought i'd pass it out and see what everyone thought.

B
B
I would love to see the article. Hopefully you can find the link.

I
I
first, unpredictable explosion. one of the main ingrediants timothy mcvey used in the oklahoma city.

if you go into a feed store and ask for "x" amount of ammonium nitrate, the police and possibly the fbi will receive a phone call, and you will be watched and investigated very closely. so be warned. why? well as i said, it is used as an explosive and raises alert to terrorism nowadays, and also, it is a main ingrediant in making "crystal methamphetamine". if i were you, i would not even investigate the idea much further. also, some guys at a rock quarry about 40 miles from me found a bunch of ammonium nitrate. well, they were told to dispose of it properly. well, they had the bright idea of pouring diesel fuel on it and seeing a boom. instead, it was a huge explosion that damaged basement foundations up to 20 miles away. 2 nearby bridges were closed down for a while while engineers assurred they were safe, the fbi investigated. the quarry company went bankrupt i think with all of the insurance claims and lawsuits. just another reason to stay away from the stuff, unless you purchase 1 50 pound bag to quickly green up your lawn. hope this helps. mark

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My dad who is a retired Green Beret said he could put in some nice ponds for me with explosives. However he said the cost would be about the same as hiring an excavator to replace all the broken windows of my neighbors! \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

L
L
I have read an article a few years back on how they used the nitrate to make '' wilderness holes'' so they say. It also stated the making of ponds with this. I can see you said your not gonna do it, smart move, save some cash and dig your pond, it took me awhile to save for mine but it all worked out. good luck

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Nick Smith, you kill me. Great answer.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
L
lee Offline
L
great job nick,it could not have been written any better.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Connor Kelley, Mama Rachael
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 06/25/24 08:00 PM
I made a alotta babies...time for lmb?
by Tinylake - 06/25/24 07:29 PM
Hybrid Crappie
by LANGSTER - 06/25/24 06:56 PM
Pokeweed for Wildlife?
by FishinRod - 06/25/24 06:30 PM