Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy, Satyam Thakur, BarbaraE
18,576 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,084
Posts559,373
Members18,577
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,185
Who's Online Now
4 members (Snipe, Chadsnider, Angler8689, Fishman Dan), 805 guests, and 382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
docoman Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello, been member of Pond Boss for 3 years and tons of great information here. I have an existing 12 yr old 0.40 surface acre pond. Been maintaining pond myself and with service in SE Michigan this year. Up until 1.5 weeks ago water was great, haven't had to manually remove tons of FA. About 1.5 weeks ago a small amount of green foam was on surface. We haven't had lots of rain and thought maybe it was just tree pollen accumulation. Well today the pond is covered in about 75% of it and from what I've read sounds like it is a protein build-up possibly from build-up of dissolved organic solids. I have call into the senior applicator at the pond guys, but I'm worried about how fast this is accumulating and how could hurt my game fish. I've attached some pics also. Any advice on how to resolve before I lose any fish would be appreciated.

Attached Images
IMG_2159.jpg IMG_2160.jpg IMG_2161.jpg IMG_2162.jpg

"Fishing and Catching are two completely different sports"
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Looks like a simple algae that is coagulated with natural proteins in the water like fish slime. The heavy die is inhibiting it from growing in deeper waters, but the bright sunlight, light winds and high temperatures let it thrive this time of year. The bubbling look is from oxygen produced in sunlight and carbon dioxide when respiring at night.

A good rain (or water hose) will break it up, at least temporarily, and improve the aesthetics.

Since it looked like you have bottom diffused aeration, it does not appear to be heavy enough that I would be concerned about cloudy days causing a die-off and dissolved oxygen crash.

Last edited by Rainman; 08/06/15 10:08 AM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: Rainman
...it does not appear to be heavy enough that I would be concerned about cloudy days causing a die-off and dissolved oxygen crash.

Like this might be, Rex? It's scaring the heck out of me!

The whole pond looks like this!

I too have aeration but I'm waiting on my compressor rebuild kit as it's hardly putting out enough air/bubbles to move the water.

Smells awful and it will be overcast today, mostly sunny tomorrow then cloudy with chances of rain Sat and Sun. Earlier this week I got 2" of rain but it didn't phase it!

I'm going to send Bill Cody a sample so we can ID this stuff.

I just keeps getting worse with the calm, sunny days we've been having and I'm so worried for my fishes!!!

Keith

PS - Docoman, sorry for the hijack!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
D
D
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Originally Posted By: Rainman
...it does not appear to be heavy enough that I would be concerned about cloudy days causing a die-off and dissolved oxygen crash.

Like this might be, Rex? It's scaring the heck out of me!

The whole pond looks like this!

I too have aeration but I'm waiting on my compressor rebuild kit as it's hardly putting out enough air/bubbles to move the water.

Smells awful and it will be overcast today, mostly sunny tomorrow then cloudy with chances of rain Sat and Sun. Earlier this week I got 2" of rain but it didn't phase it!

I'm going to send Bill Cody a sample so we can ID this stuff.

I just keeps getting worse with the calm, sunny days we've been having and I'm so worried for my fishes!!!

Keith

PS - Docoman, sorry for the hijack!

wow dude!

Can you make a float boom on a rope to pull across the lake to drag as much as you can to shore and just start scooping?

Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Don, when I get home tonight I'm going to run the boat around to hope the wave action will push it towards the shore line. And possibly add some O2 at the same time from the prop-wash.

But at the same time, am I just stirring up more nutrients from the muck at the bottom, making it even worse?

I just don't know!

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

D
docoman Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Rainman thanks for your input. I'm leaning towards treatment as if it were Phytoplankton to see if that resolves the issue.

Anyone have any DYI floating booms/skimming nets with ropes to skim this off the surface? Couldn't really find anything via google search either.

Thanks for any additional input.

"Fishing and Catching are two completely different sports"
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
docoman - you should send me some for a positive identification.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I could be wrong, but in the pictures, most of the algae appears to be on or near the surface. I don't think, in your particular pond pictured, that it poses a danger and is in it's end stages of life. Bill Cody can identify it and possibly confirm or correct my thoughts.

LovinLivin, I think this thread would apply to your pond also, though without adequate aeration, and looking heavier, there may be some concerns. However, with rain and the accompanying winds forecast in your area, I think your fish will be fine as well.

Last edited by Rainman; 08/07/15 08:14 AM.

Hi Rex!

It is pretty heavy as it's throughout the water column, and as far as adequate aeration, I have 3 of my 4 diffusers going as there's not enough output from my pump to run all 4 (rebuild kit on it's way).

I'm hoping for the best!

Thanks!

Keith

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bill Sappenfield, GREG BOTNER, huddleston, Yolk Sac
Recent Posts
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan
by Angler8689 - 06/15/24 10:02 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 06/15/24 08:21 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Mainer - 06/15/24 08:04 PM
Algae