Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
N.C.PondJoe, LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy, Satyam Thakur
18,577 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,084
Posts559,379
Members18,578
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,185
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chadsnider, Angler8689, pondbear, Snipe, Alligatorob), 1,053 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Lately we have been noticing that our BCP are coming in to eat along with the yellow perch.

The YP were feed-trained originally, not the BC. Right now only the originals YP come to eat, so a lot of large 12"+ perch but no smaller, younger classes of them. The BCP however are small, clearly not the first year stocked fish. It started off as one, but now up to 6 or so coming in and mixing in with the perch.

I don't know how it happened, but our fish became pets, and now the wife and kid no longer want to fish the pond, but feed them by hand. Yes, the perch now come up to our hands to take food. I should have known better.

Lunker
Lunker
I still bring my fishing pole with me when I hand feed. grin

I have to agree, it is pretty cool feeding the fish.

Lately my SMB have been eating a lot more pellets which keeps my GSH at bay, it is allowing my YP and RES to actually get to more pellets. smile

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It is pretty cool. The HBG I tossed in the little pond just eat all the time, now that they have overcome their shyness. The (2) CC croaked, probably starved to death.

I tossed in a couple dozen FHM and maybe 4 dozen "mystery" shiners, and it's kinda fun watching the "minnows" push pellets around. Maybe I could put a soccer team together laugh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Lately we have been noticing that our BCP are coming in to eat along with the yellow perch.

The YP were feed-trained originally, not the BC. Right now only the originals YP come to eat, so a lot of large 12"+ perch but no smaller, younger classes of them. The BCP however are small, clearly not the first year stocked fish. It started off as one, but now up to 6 or so coming in and mixing in with the perch.

I don't know how it happened, but our fish became pets, and now the wife and kid no longer want to fish the pond, but feed them by hand. Yes, the perch now come up to our hands to take food. I should have known better.

Unfortunately you will have to start harvesting at some point to keep the pond relatively "balanced".

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Feeding is one of the true joys of life for Pond Folks....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

L
OP Offline
L
Yeah, it is going to be a little heart-breaking to harvest to be honest. Those darned BC I wont be too sad about though.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Ahh yes the harvest. It is hard I have had 1 fish fry this year and my mom and dad want to keep pushing the limits of what BG we can keep to eat! LOL! Last year I said anything between 6 and 8 inches and dad would catch a 8.5 or 9 inch and want to throw him in the bucket! Then this year I said ok anything 9 and under. So now if they catch a 9.25 it's close so they want to keep it.... there like kids!! LOL...

Harvesting is important for sure! One must remember 10.5 inch on up BG won't be around much longer as their lifespan is getting short.

I have had my BG sense 2010, so the bigger ones may have a year or 2 left. Maybe 3 if I'm lucky. I can tell you this if I ever catch another one over 11 inches I will keep it for the cabin wall as a testament as to what I never ever thought I could do with a BG!! smile

Squid you got to keep some of em!! Not to mention they sure are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The necessity of harvest is a struggle for me also. I think I've decided to harvest the northern BG as I see fit, and the HBG will be allowed to die a natural death.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
B
I really enjoy feeding mine. They just started eating in the last few weeks. The family and I enjoy watching them. But I'm also looking forward to the day that we start fishing for them.

L
OP Offline
L
I haven't even busted out with the rod and reel yet this year. They are simply spoiled on fish food and ignore lures for the most part. Perhaps some Stubby Steves will do the trick.

The water was very clear this spring until we had some heavy rains. We could see all of the fish very clearly, and the Koi are getting bold (they are not going to like WHY I am training them to come to food soon). This allowed us to work them up to taking food from our hands, which I have to say is something I never suspected was possible.

A few years ago I was worried as I never saw the fish at all. Now I have to be careful diving off of the dock that they are out of the way! I have to shoo them off first.

Feeding the fish is my quiet time every evening. I think my CC would feed till my arm dropped off from throwing pellets! They never get full. Lots of different fish come to feed but, I have to admit, I enjoy watching the CC the best. Those guys flop and swish and tear up the surface...like they actually are proud they nailed one of those incredibly fast and all evasive pellets!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Once you've created your perfect "sim-world" pond (ie/ juicing with high protein artificial feed), then it's time to rock with Stubby Steve's!!!

Lunker
Lunker
I short lined a small jig a foot off the dock last night while tossing pellets, I had an 11" SMB hammer it. grin

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Went to Cecils Sun to show my son his RAS and he mentioned how much better his fish took hydrated pellets. I switched from Aqua to Zieglers Platinum 1/4" floating V-PAK. Noticed they weren't hitting them as thoroughly or as long so last night I hydrated some. Tossed a handful off the end of the pier and the YP and Tilapia were very aggressive. Got out my ultra light fitted with #6 long shank hook, tiny split shot and an ice fishin bobber. Instantly started catching YP from 6-12"s. after about eight fish I'd had enough fun.
If this is better suited to the Aquamax thread maybe one of the mods can switch it over. I think it could be in both.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Originally Posted By: Shorty
I short lined a small jig a foot off the dock last night while tossing pellets, I had an 11" SMB hammer it. grin

Someday.. I love seeing posts like these. I haven't even stocked SMB yet. A year ago I was staring at a wooded ravine though. Patience.. (I need more)

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Setter Guy, if ya have a good forage base and stock your SMB (and maybe HSB)early fall you'll be surprised at how soon you'll be postin like Shorty just did. The seasons go by pretty fast !! I'm not quite sure where the last half century went. No comments about the 60s and 70s please.

Thanks Bob. I'll try to get as large SMB as possible, and get them going early fall. I'm thinking HSB too. Plan on running the feeder indefinitely. I was in HS in the 60s. Those were good times. Just now (at almost 61) am getting a pond I've been dreaming about for 40 years.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
THESE will be the good ol days soon !!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bill Sappenfield, GREG BOTNER, huddleston, Yolk Sac
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Snipe - 06/16/24 12:01 PM
Where to start?
by Alligatorob - 06/16/24 10:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/16/24 06:47 AM
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan
by Angler8689 - 06/15/24 10:02 PM