Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
chin_monster, Km17, Jhust, Cionweest, Kansan
18,589 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,111
Posts559,639
Members18,589
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,727
ewest 21,550
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,198
Who's Online Now
9 members (catscratch, Retired on 40, B BUG, Shorthose, Knobber, lmoore, Cloudfeather, rjackson, tim k), 910 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#347089 08/13/13 10:00 AM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
The pond is finished. Before I fill what should I do? I am planning on putting bermuda on the dam. Is that what I should do? Then I will decide about what type of fish. Should I put some stuff in it for the fish to hide in? I have a bunch of junk rock...can I put some in the pond? It turned out to be 16 feet deep. What to do now? It will probably take a month to fill using well water running at night...3 days on...three days off. It is raining and boy is Oklahoma clay red.

EVERY DAY IS A HOLIDAY,EVERY MEAL IS A FEAST AND LIFE GETS SWEETER AND SWEETER
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Some help please:)

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Come on ya'll chip in here. I don't have enough knowledge to help this gal out but know there is a wealth of folks that do. I found this site before I even called a dirt mover and I got a bunch of advice that has made my little pond into a great place to be. I will suggest to MN that she at this point put in/up structer (taller the better} www.Fish finding freaks or something like that. Pick the nrains of Ted lea and Sue Cruz about proper aeration. Check the affects of filling with non-filtered well water, basically high iron and low oxygen levels. Put in lots of forage, FH, BNM and SPS and spawning structure. Do these and hope some more intelligent people than I respond.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Bob-O gives great suggestions. Since your well water is probably high in iron and oxygen poor I would consider aeration as one of the first items to do. If well water will always be available to keep it full during the summer months and drought times I would lean towards bottom diffuser aeration. Thus lifting the entire water body the number of times per day that is needed. If have the possibility of having very low water and a heavy fish population you may want to surface aerate. Keeping your supply of oxygen above the demand is the key. Depending on the shape of your 1/4 acre pond a small 1.5/ 2.5 cfm compressor may be enough, just depends on the shape of the pond.Small compressors do not cost much to operate and there are a multitude of options available to get your pond aerated correctly. You also mention junk rock. Is this concrete or actual natural rock. Take your time do it correctly and enjoy the journey.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: miss nancy
Should I put some stuff in it for the fish to hide in?

even I can answer that....YES!
boulders, stumps, brush piles, gravel, ect...
structure/ambush enhancers are good for the fish
now's the time to add fish cover
Boomer!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have you sourced out some quality fish yet? I have heard good things on the Bermuda grass. I'm planting zoysia around my pond being a little farther north. Congrats on the new build. Can't wait to see full pool. Keep us updated.

Last edited by Jwwann; 08/13/13 08:32 PM.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'm getting a T-shirt that says TED LEA APPROVED

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Get some Bermuda seed on it ASAP. Of course, this is a rough time of the year to get seed to sprout because the rain isn't all that dependable during the summer. Spread the seed while the ground is wet. If you have a way to lightly rake it, your germination will improve. Some will undoubtably wash off and will have to be replaced.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Get a plugger and plug it before you seed it. The seed will have little places to take root and not wash away.

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
I opted for white clover vs. grass - it's easier to maintain than grass and the side benefit is that you have something that the deer, turkeys, and other wildlife like to nibble on. In terms of structure, if you have fathead minnows in your stocking plan - I would definitely recommend placing some pallets, big rocks, logs, etc. in the shallows so they have a place to hide and spawn before becoming part of the food chain.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There's advantages and disadvantages to both (clover and grass).

One disavantage to clover that I found out at my place is that clover attracts bees, and when walking with open toed shoes/sandals you must pick up your feet when you walk. I didn't and had a bee get wedged in the shoe between my toes..... It wasn't very happy.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
This is before complete but you get the idea. I will start with bermuda and start putting stuff in pond for fish to hide. My rock is all natural and will be glad to get rid of it. Some rubble and some larger. Thanks so much. I will need some more hel and will ask. Making me feel less freaked out.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
The top of the dam is clay...will bermuda seed handle the clay?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
miss nancy love all the woods surrounding your new pond. How deep is it planned?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Deepest 16 ft...shollow about 9ft.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Makes me tired just to think about it. I am going to sod in the area most likey to erode then do a little tilling and throw seed.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thank you. the woods are pretty. In the back is a park like setting. On the east of the house a wooded garden. What is so cool about this property is its location. Central Edmond Oklahoma....right amongst high dollar housing and medical facilities and only 1.5 m off I35. Pond Boss has taught me to roll em easy. The journey....I am up for it.

F
F
Originally Posted By: esshup
There's advantages and disadvantages to both (clover and grass).

One disavantage to clover that I found out at my place is that clover attracts bees, and when walking with open toed shoes/sandals you must pick up your feet when you walk. I didn't and had a bee get wedged in the shoe between my toes..... It wasn't very happy.

I never got the impression you were one to "drag their feet" wink

F
F
I'm going to throw out the question as to what fish are you planning on stocking? It may steer advice given to you about what types of habitat, amounts, etc. I was always under the impression that the habitat which goes into a pond is largely based on what fish you want and how they are managed.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Not to be negative, but realistic, you are going have more than normal problems with this pond due to the amount of leaves that will get in it each year. Leaves cause extra muck accumulation and excessive algae growths and speed the aging of the pond by my estimate of around twice as fast.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bermuda doesn't prefer clay but can kinda get along with it. Clay dries out very quickly.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I know Bob. I am kind of freaked because I spent $3500 rebuilding this pond. But had a bunch of trees taken out and it was that or fill it in. I am 61 and will try to enjoy the best I can.
Is there anything I can do about the problem?

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Can I put a tractor tire in the pond?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
muck prevention in new pond = aerate/ muck reduction in older pond = aerate and depending on how fast you want to eliminate it targeted bacteria available.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The tire will be fine but most effective if stood upright. Cut a hole in it, set it upright with hole at top and weigh it down with some rocks. Let the grass grow for about a month before the trees start dropping their leaves and hope it catches some of the leaves before they get to the pond.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Connor Kelley, Mama Rachael
Recent Posts
Unidentified broad leaf pondweed
by Retired on 40 - 06/26/24 07:25 AM
Faux trees & plants
by Willy Wonka - 06/26/24 05:07 AM
New 1/4 acre pond
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/26/24 04:38 AM
Strange 'phenomenon' in aquatic vegetation