Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
N.C.PondJoe, LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy, Satyam Thakur
18,577 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,084
Posts559,379
Members18,578
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,185
Who's Online Now
4 members (pondbear, Snipe, Alligatorob, Quarter Acre), 1,066 guests, and 450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#240608 11/08/10 11:07 PM
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I know this is a really lousy picture, but after 30 minutes I just gave up. I have 3 BG that I took from my pond and put in a tank with two LMB. this is a fun way to spend the winter. In the last couple days I have noticed a small parasite attached to the side fin of one of my BG. It is white and about a cm long. I have found nothing like it on the internet. It is not attached to the body (anchor worm) and does not look like a leech. Here is my really bad picture (look at his ride side fin).

I will pull him from the tank tomorrow and get a better picture, but was hoping that someone would come back with an, "of course, that is easy. It is obviously a ..."

These fish will go back in the pond in the spring. I want to figure out if I have a problem in the pond that I have to deal with.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
cant' tell anything from the pic but it sounds like white grubs. look em up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here is a good link about the grubs. Yellow Grubs

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mr. Baird, (Yes Coach and I have the same last name)

I have an excellent text I can peruse when I get time but a better pic would be nice. However the exact species is academic. This being an external parasite it's easy to get rid of in tank fish. (If it truly is attached to the outside of the fin.) Is it possible the bluegill picked up the parasite in the tank or did it have it on when you put them in?

As far as your fish in the pond being inundated by this parasite (if it came in from the pond) it's doubtful and a treatment for the entire pond is probably not practical. You will probably see a few fish with the parasites, but it's most likely a seasonal thing, or if something is stressing them in the pond. I've seen some of my spawning bluegills attacked by parasites, but the rest of the year they are clean as a whistle.

It could be the parasite will be here one day and you'll never see it again too.

Fish can handle parasites to some extent and be otherwise healthy and grow normally.

As far as treating the fish in the tank it's easy to do that with ordinary uniodized table salt and dip treatment. Here's what you do:

To some tank water and mix 4 oz. of uniodized salt per gallon in a bucket or similar container. Make sure it's dissolved. You now have a 3 percent solution of salt the same as typical salt water.

Net the fish and submerge them in the saltwater solution one at a time for about 20 seconds or until the fish turns on it's side. Then immediately put the fish back into the tank. If the fish are in good shape they should be able to handle this fine. The saltwater will cause the parasite to implode and effectively kill it.

If possible, keeping your tank water at 0.2 percent salinity indefinitely will not only be less stressful on your fish, but should keep external parasites in check.

I do this dip treatment whenever I bring fish in from my ponds to my Recirculating Aquaculture System. I have no problems with parasites in my tanks. All fish in the tanks are healthy and clean of parasites.

If for some reason you first fish has problems with the dip treatment you may want to reduce the salinity or go with a bath treatment of lower intensity.

If you want some excellent reading on the subject of salt treatments and parasites here is a great piece by Dr. Kebus of the Wisconsin's ADDL. It basicially is written for Koi but applies to the fish also. Not too academic to bore the shorts off of you. Written for us laymen.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/Kebus_Salt_Treatments.html

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/09/10 10:21 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bill Sappenfield, GREG BOTNER, huddleston, Yolk Sac
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Snipe - 06/16/24 12:01 PM
Where to start?
by Alligatorob - 06/16/24 10:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/16/24 06:47 AM
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan
by Angler8689 - 06/15/24 10:02 PM