Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kansan, myriadeyes, Mike E, helppls, TbirdZ2
18,585 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,100
Posts559,553
Members18,586
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,717
ewest 21,546
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,197
Who's Online Now
10 members (esshup, FireIsHot, Sunil, catscratch, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, Dave Davidson1, liquidsquid, B BUG, Custom 68), 1,076 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#221638 06/13/10 07:06 PM
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I would like to add structure to my local golf course ponds. There are about 5 ponds. 2 ponds are connected and they get overfished wayy too much. So I'm moving to a bigger pond about a mile south of that one. My question is, What type of small "portable" structure can I use? I dont want to be seen dumping pallets into a golf course pond. I do have an unlimited supply of pallets though... I may take some and cut them up into smaller pieces. Then get rocks and pea gravel from Home Depot. Any other structure ideas? It must be small so I can be in and out.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Fishkeeper1, I'm not so sure that's a good idea if you need to be "in and out" quickly! As opposed to taking a risk that might land you in some unwanted trouble, you should consider just asking the ownership or manager about working with them to provide some structure in return for being permitted to fish there. You never know what sort of relationship may develop as a result of blue sky dealings versus surreptitious guerilla missions! And then you might also get to use real structure instead of black ops sneaking-sized stuff!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Look into some Porcupine Fish Attractors. Rough them up so they hold algae. They're no all that unsightly and are removable.

Todd, I think he owns the course.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave, that's what I was initially thinking as I thought he might have been the member who posted about that very thing awhile back, but the post read like this might have been a different situation. Fishkeeper1, if I'm off base on my assumptions (yeah, yeah, I know!) and you own the course, I apologize for forgetting that fact!

Todd La Neve

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Fishkeeper, when I first read your post I thought of exactly what Dave suggested. Extremely portable, little to no snags (as opposed to pallets), easily placed, and great attractors of fish. However, I am curious as Todd was, why, if you own these courses, why you would get yourself in trouble by setting the structure?

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
As opposed to taking a risk that might land you in some unwanted trouble, you should consider just asking the ownership or manager about working with them to provide some structure in return for being permitted to fish there. You never know what sort of relationship may develop as a result of blue sky dealings versus surreptitious guerilla missions!

+1
Odd coincidence that this conversation just started. I am actually taking on a new project. I learned about a boy scout camp (kinda a community secret) up the street a ways from my house, being an eagle scout no brainer, right? go fish there, of all places around. So Everyone tells me, just ride your bike a mile from the nearest parking lot and sneak in, there is a ranger on-site there, but he is rarely at the lake.

So i drive right up to the ranger's office. he was so flattered that i asked before showing up, he was more than amicable (after setting some ground rules, of course...never when kids are there, i have to sign a personal injury waiver, can't tell anyone where it is, can't invite people without asking, always call the office before arriving so he knows i am on site, etc). Asked about the fishery, apparently they just drained and re-modeled the lake......looks like i found a gem, and will probably be asking you guys for advice on helping out with it before too long! wink

Last edited by skinnybass; 06/14/10 09:28 AM. Reason: speuellings.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Good stuff. Always nice when politeness is rewarded.

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
No I do not own the course... I wish! If you go at 8pm there is nobody there and this is the time that my friend and I collect golf balls and sell them during the day to golfers. I was planning on collecting rocks in the woods near this one pond and make a decent rock pile in certain spots. BTW they are digging a new lake next to this pond so there are TONS of rocks they dug up.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Todd, looks like I blew that one. Who was it that owned the course(s)?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave, I just did a search and it looks like that was forum member Hal Johnson (also his screen name) from TN. He's the one that has a course with 4 or 5 ponds and he was posting about his successes using tilapia to control what sounds like it was some really bad FA and other water conditions. Anyway, that's the dude.

So, back to my point on this thread, I would not in any way endorse the activity inquired about here and would suggest if you want to mess with someone else's pond, you go ask them first. As has been said in several posts here, it can often lead to a good relationship and opportunities that don't involve trespassing.

Todd La Neve

P
P
Where's this at? I live close to the chain and fish the surrounding lakes as well. A friend of mine just bought a new fish structure called fishiding and put them in lake Antioch. He says they work perfect and have three sizes. Maybe this would work.

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
While collecting golf balls I threw rocks just off a point next to a water pump. Its a pipe that fills the pond I'm guessing. So there will be baitfish attracted to the new water flow and then the rockpile just off a point about 15 feet away should add some good fish cover. I also threw 2 logs out over the rock pile. I fished it 2 days ago (2 days after setting it up) and got some nice bluegill. It is in about 3-4ft deep water and about 5ft away from 2 big shoreline brush piles. Brush piles are in about 1ft of water.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
brians, grewupingolf, helpless2act
Recent Posts
Some nice pumpkins seeds yesterday
by esshup - 06/24/24 07:29 AM
Aqequate filtration system
by esshup - 06/24/24 07:24 AM
Kill a pond
by Boondoggle - 06/23/24 11:08 PM
ID? Was suggested it's a hybrid...
by Boondoggle - 06/23/24 11:06 PM