Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KDW, kmilam, Soundguy, RyanH, Nath Morris
18,544 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,028
Posts558,658
Members18,545
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,518
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,165
Who's Online Now
6 members (RossC, Ron crismon, Boondoggle, Sunil, Angler8689, Dave Davidson1), 1,152 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14397 03/21/06 03:52 PM
M
mikeak Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well,I miscalculated somehow,my 7/8 ac. pond is now just under a 1/2 ac.But,what is just is,so we'll go from here.
I'm going with 100 Bg 2-4" and 50 Re. 3-5" and 4 lbs. of fatheads.I'd love to put in some bigger Bg as ewest sugg.but I can't find any.I'll keep looking.Fish are coming 3/31.
Figuring on bass going in next spring.Just about everyone I've talked to has tried to discourage me from smallmouth,maybe I'll just go with lmb.I've got time to think on that.
Any comments or sugg. much app.
Oh,I want to manage this pond for Condello Bg.
Mike

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I met Ed Eitel last fall he could look at a body of water and estimate it's size in acres with amazing accuracy. I've never been able to do that.

What's the biggest reason you're hearing as far as why to not go with smallies? Just wondering. I'm probably about the two-hundredth most qualified person to talk about smallmouth, but I'm finding with this forum that just about anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Good size of pond for managing big BG. Enough room to have plenty of fish and good fishing. Small enough, though, to be able to have an impact from a harvest standpoint. Keep us informed!!!!!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
M
mikeak Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Bruce,I'm hearing they won't spawn,no rock and gravel bottom,other people have tried and failed,waters too warm,they just won't make it.
As soon as I tell people I don't want any cc they start looking at me kind of funny,like, what do you want a pond for if you don't want catfish?By the time I start asking about smallies they figure I'm over the edge.
I'm hard headed and will try anyway if I can find some fish.I really hav'nt heard anything that will keep me from trying.Getting fish is prob. the biggest problem.
I was a plumbing contractor in another life and was involved in setting up several catfish tanks for the environmental science class at the local J.V.S.,if I can't get the fish I might try to grow them myself.
I was thinking put some SM in this fall,if they make it ,great,if not I can still stock the lmb.next spring.
Thanks Mike

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Mike,
It's your pond & if you want SmB you prob. won't be satisfied without them. I would think in a 1/2 ac pond one could grow just as big SmB as LmB.
I echo Bruce's question, why are they telling you not to stock smallmouth?

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
M
mikeak Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ric,we must have posted at the same time.
Mike

Lunker
Lunker
I'm way down below 200th on the SMB knowledge list. I've never caught one, I THINK I saw a couple when I was a kid. But I'm thinking about SMB in the future myself.

Say they don't spawn - heck, then you've got population control of your predators. The biggest negative I can see there is the fairly high cost to restock with large SMB (at least around here).

If you're not putting in bass until next year, that's lots of time to research, study, and contemplate SMB vs. LMB.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by mikeak:
Hi Bruce,I'm hearing they won't spawn,no rock and gravel bottom,other people have tried and failed,waters too warm,they just won't make it.
As soon as I tell people I don't want any cc they start looking at me kind of funny,like, what do you want a pond for if you don't want catfish?By the time I start asking about smallies they figure I'm over the edge.
I'm hard headed and will try anyway if I can find some fish.I really hav'nt heard anything that will keep me from trying.Getting fish is prob. the biggest problem.
I was a plumbing contractor in another life and was involved in setting up several catfish tanks for the environmental science class at the local J.V.S.,if I can't get the fish I might try to grow them myself.
I was thinking put some SM in this fall,if they make it ,great,if not I can still stock the lmb.next spring.
Thanks Mike
You heard that they won't spawn:

That could be used very much in your favor. Supplemental stockings are very feasible. My friend NEDOC has some of the most beautiful smallies I've ever seen in his pond. Their coloration makes them look like they were grown in an aquarium.

No rock or gravel bottom:

Doesn't matter--smallmouth like good water quality a lot more than they need gravel as a substrate.

Other people have tried and failed:

You have Pond Boss, they didn't. \:\)

Water's too warm:

Smallmouth do fine in warm water if it doesn't get too hot and if it's managed for optimal oxygen levels. There's some great smallmouth waters in Texas. Just ask George Glazener.

You don't want channel cats:

They're a nice fish, but I know just as many people who want to get rid of them as I do who want them.

They think I'm over the edge:

So?? Everybody KNOWS I'm over the edge.

You were thinking of putting in smallies this fall:

I've never heard of anybody who had regrets over a population of stunted smallies that they couldn't get rid of. ;\)

GO FOR IT!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ric said it best...

"It's your pond & if you want SmB you prob. won't be satisfied without them".

M
mikeak Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Theo,re:spawn,I agree,I don't plan to harvest any SmB unless it's necessary,If I need to I can add larger smallies later on as needed.I'll be doing lots of research and asking quest. here.
Mike

M
mikeak Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Bruce,Yes,We have Pond Boss. \:\) \:\) What a great bunch of people!!
Mike

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
As you further research sources for smallmouth, you should keep us informed. You've got Pond Bossers all around you and maybe one of us can hook you up with a reputable supplier if you're having any difficulties.

This sounds really fun.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/23/24 05:21 PM
Water Test Report - Adjusting PH?
by Boondoggle - 05/23/24 04:15 PM
What might be attacking our fish?
by lmoore - 05/23/24 12:11 PM
First catch from new pond
by SCFarms - 05/23/24 11:24 AM
New Pond Owner Westchester County, NY
by nycfishrescue - 05/23/24 11:22 AM
Pond Builder - Central NY State