Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mike E, helppls, TbirdZ2, Josefb, Mrnot111
18,583 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,097
Posts559,529
Members18,584
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,713
ewest 21,546
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,197
Who's Online Now
6 members (Pat Williamson, Custom 68, Angler8689, esshup, Bill Cody, Jake D.), 1,321 guests, and 566 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
One thing I might add... IDNR indicated that since lake entirely on my property, I could utilize any means of harvesting the fish up to - but not including dynamite.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Regardless of what the Regs in any state are at the time you receive stock, my biggest fear is the regs can be changed at any time. Rarely is it ever for the better!

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Per ifishillinois.org: Do I need a fishing license to fish my private pond located entirely on my property?
Owners or tenants (if they reside on the land) may fish in waters on or flowing over their lands without a license. This exemption does not apply to club and organizational lakes or lake developments. Guests must have a fishing license to fish the lake unless they meet any of the requirements exempting persons from needing a license - such as being under age 16, Illinois residents who are disabled or blind, or Illinois residents on leave from active duty in the Armed Forces.

Can I catch and take as many fish as I want from my lake?
A privately owned and stocked/maintained lake is still covered by Illinois statewide sportfishing regulations. These regulations can be found in our "2006 Illinois Fishing Information" booklet which can be found anywhere licenses are sold as well as on our DNR homepage. The statewide regulations are on page 8 of the booklet while the information regarding licensing requirements is on page 3.

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Needless to say, I'm going to manage my lake however I see fit. But if you transport a cooler full of undersized bass fillets after a cull, and you get checked...it doesn't matter where they came from.

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
In NE it is best to buy your fish and keep your receipts locked in a fire proof safe. State regulations apply if the state provides the fish, if your pond is connected by inflow or outflow to other bodies of water where state fish "might" gain entrance to your pond, state regulations also apply if you cannot provide receipts as proof of purchase. If you buy your fish, keep your receipts, if there are no outflow or inflow issues you are free to ignore state regulations and harvest your fish as you like.

Our current state regulations were changed for 2009 and all LMB under 15" are now catch & release, private ponds included. Special waivers are now required from the state if you want to cull any overabundant LMB under 15", that is unless you have receipts for all your fish and no inflow or outflow issues.

Thanks for sharing this Shorty - and that's great advice regarding preserving one's stocking receipts. Although I have no inflow issues, almost every pond with a spillway technically has outflow issues, right? I also am not stocking LMB and won't be harvesting any. However, it's amazing to me the state feels they have the right or ability to extend their regulations to privately owned waters. I'm certain there's logic in this new regulation, but it's not immediately dawning on me. I don't count myself as one of them - yet I'd love to see the state try and enforce that regulation on some good ol NE boys I know with ponds. Funny.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Midwest Dave
Per ifishillinois.org: Do I need a fishing license to fish my private pond located entirely on my property?
Owners or tenants (if they reside on the land) may fish in waters on or flowing over their lands without a license. This exemption does not apply to club and organizational lakes or lake developments. Guests must have a fishing license to fish the lake unless they meet any of the requirements exempting persons from needing a license - such as being under age 16, Illinois residents who are disabled or blind, or Illinois residents on leave from active duty in the Armed Forces.

So if a friend comes over to fish your pond theoretically they must have a fishing license? Am I reading that correctly? Jeez I'm glad I'm on active duty in the GSA Royal Air Force (well that and I could probably qualify under a mental disability clause).

Ewest makes an excellent post (of course), why correct a genetics problem down the road. You spend a lot of hard earned money creating and managing a pond and IMHO the difference in a few hundred dollars during stocking is not worth all of the downsides to stocking fish with unknown genetics. If I was starting with a clean slate pond I'd want to start with the best of the best. A well known & well respected private fish supplier is going to be actively monitoring genetics to ensure the best quality of end product - I highly doubt most government agencies will do this.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Greg, I need some advice and information about my rights and responsibilties in taking care of my pond( GA Harris Co.). It's actually own partly by home owners around the pond. Right now there are only four houses around this 2.5 acres pond including me. I have seen people fish in their boat or on the bank that don't live in those houses. I would like to take care of this lake but would also like to have a little bit of control to maitain it. What are my rights?

Thanks
bman

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good luck in that endeavor! My parents' old neighborhood has several ponds ranging in size from 1/5 acre up to 5 acres. Most people in the neighborhood didn't fish so they really had no interest in what went into the ponds and then the rest who did fish were not interested in managing them properly.

Perhaps with a smaller group of home owners you'll have more luck. I believe they ended up posted signs similar to " Fish and Boating for Residents and Their Guests, All Others Will Be Prosecuted for Trespassing" It seemed to work at keeping some non residents from fishing the pond. But most of the management was done by just a couple interested people at their expense for others who didn't want to chip in to enjoy...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think I would approach the other homeowners and discuss the liability involved by others who aren't owners.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
bman it is on case by case basis. Many of our HOA lakes have two thigns basically the lkae is in the neighborhood and owned byt the surrounding homes or it is in the bylaws it is common property and anyone that lives there can fish it.

Common property is good if wanting more money to help manage bad if wanting more exclusive rights. If owned by neighbors you can set rights and write up some bylaws to go by. And yes signs help keep out unwanted visitors. However if only one guy says I own it and I can let anyone i want to fish it he is propbably correct.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks Greg! I'll find me some signs to post around the lake.

bman

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks Dave, I'll do that!

bman

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks for the advice CJ. That is what I feel right now since mostly my neighbors don't fish. I'll purchase some signs.

bman

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Rksisk108
Recent Posts
Help with system choice
by esshup - 06/22/24 08:39 PM
curly leaf infestation
by Bill Cody - 06/22/24 07:49 PM
Planting American pond weed
by esshup - 06/22/24 01:11 PM
Something is eating mussels
by nvcdl - 06/22/24 12:29 PM
Hybrid Crappie
by gehajake - 06/22/24 10:58 AM
Some nice pumpkins seeds yesterday
by Tinylake - 06/22/24 10:58 AM
What capacitor do I need for a Sweetwater AQ101?
by Snacko - 06/22/24 08:08 AM
Fry Identification
by Boondoggle - 06/21/24 11:07 PM
Hole in pond liner (HDPE)
by esshup - 06/21/24 10:04 PM
Aqequate filtration system
by esshup - 06/21/24 10:03 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 06/21/24 03:44 PM
Semi Trash Pump
by Whatever - 06/21/24 12:13 PM
Newly Uploaded Images