Pond Boss
Posted By: 3z3k3l Too Many Species Bad? - 06/12/05 07:23 PM
I have heard of people putting in one or two types of minnows but what about combining multiple species in large numbers.
Would this give each species a better advantage at survival? (Mainly for bass existing ponds).
So instead of 50lbs of fatheads have 10lbs of each:
Fatheads, Threadfins, Common/Golden Shiners, Creek Chub, even Talapia, etc... all at once.

Would the added diversity of species allow for better survival for the bait fish because not all the baitfish inhabit the same forage places of the bass? Thus not giving bass a single species target?

Also as nature takes its course, the survival of the fittest comes into play as to which species will be able to thrive best.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Posted By: bobad Re: Too Many Species Bad? - 06/12/05 09:55 PM
I don't have a clue. Or do I? I think I can come up with a strong hint. Look at any "natural" older body of water, and you will find many more species of forage fish in the food chain than a recreational pond. However, a great fishing natural lake is not necessarily as good or as desirable as a great fishing recreational pond.

Having worked with statistics for 35 years, I would think 4 or 5 species of forage fish would increase the chances for any 1 of them to succeed in finding a niche in the pond's ecosystem. You know, finding cover, food, and reproducing.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Too Many Species Bad? - 06/13/05 12:36 AM
3z3k3l,

Personally, I've changed my view on this. I used to think that my ponds would only ever have BG and LMB, period...but diversity has definite advantages. It seems to me, that within reason, we can find find complementary fish and in that case diversity is good. Fish which do not complement are not necessarily good.

For example, for weed and algae control, grass carp and Tilapia complement each other very well.

For small forage, I also think fatheads, shad, and even gambusia complement each other as forage providers...maybe not so much Gambusia, but I have no choice on them.

For larger forage, BG, redear, and Tilapia seem to complement each other, especially since the Tilapia die off each winter before they can become a problem to BG fry.

Predators can be complementary also. I believe that LMB and HSB may be complimentary. Not sure yet, because I haven't had enough personal experience but it appears that HSB take the open water and LMB take the structure and shallower water each finding their own forage.

Catfish, crappie, common carp are examples of species which do not complement the above mix. Some say gizzard shad shoulkd also be in that list, but I have them and so far so good.

I've totally changed my view on fish....diversity when complementary, is a good thing, IMHO. Besides, its just more fun.
© Pond Boss Forum