Pond Boss
Posted By: Trooper4985 Greetings from NY - 03/27/12 05:01 AM
After the little bit of reading I have done here... all I can say is wow!. I came here looking for information on how to rid my 1/4 acre fire protection pond of the tiny 8" bullhead that currently infest it. Now I find myself planning a 4-5 acre paradise on my own property even though I have a ~25 acre reservoir within walking distance from my home. I think I have found a new cyber home.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Greetings from NY - 03/27/12 11:27 AM
Welcome Trooper. Lots of us seem to live here.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Greetings from NY - 03/27/12 12:09 PM
Welcome to the show Trooper. Tell us more about your plans for the new pond!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Greetings from NY - 03/27/12 12:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Trooper, I think the best way to get rid of bullheads is drain the pond, they are tough critters, stand by for more info from members with experience in this area.
Posted By: esshup Re: Greetings from NY - 03/27/12 01:39 PM
Welcome! Yes, the best way to rid that pond of them is to drain it down so little water remains, then whack the remaining water with Rotenone or Hydrated Lime. When it's drained, you can dig out the sediment/muck if you desire.
Posted By: Trooper4985 Re: Greetings from NY - 03/28/12 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Welcome to the show Trooper. Tell us more about your plans for the new pond!

I live on just over 50 acres at about the 42nd latitude. If DEC will not charge me an arm and a leg just for a permit, I would like to end up with a northen pike or muskie, walleye, yellow perch, smallmouth bass, bluegill and sunfish pond about 5 acres in size. Like I said, there is a stocked (bass, panfish and bullhead) reservoir that I used to fish within walking distance but having my own pond to maintain and improve sounds like a good retirement hobby.
© Pond Boss Forum