Pond Boss
Posted By: Zach bumps on fish - 06/07/03 05:41 PM
I have a pond with channel cats and greensunfish. Today I went fishing and caught a nice channel. The only problem was it was covered with little bumps. I've noticed that there is quite a few snails out in the water because the greenies intestines are solid snails. Are these bumps grubs or an illness? The water quality is excellent and right now since it rain the pond has had an bloom. Also will these bumps kill the fish.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: bumps on fish - 06/08/03 03:20 AM
Ha Ha, Ha.

The bumps sound like a sub cutaneous parasite of some type. Don't you have a district biologist for your fish and game you can call or stop in with a fish sample? That would be your best bet.

Good luck.
Posted By: Zach Re: bumps on fish - 06/08/03 01:39 PM
Are those things deadly?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: bumps on fish - 06/08/03 04:37 PM
It depends on the degree of infestation but typically parasites do not culminate in dead fish. It may even go its course. It's kind of like aquatic weed problems. You should get it identified before any action or conclusions are reached.
Posted By: Zach Re: bumps on fish - 06/08/03 11:08 PM
The fish were covered with them. If this helps you identify the things the bumps look like zits. They covered the fishes entire body but it seem not to harm it in anyway because it fought well. I hope they run their course. I will be very angry because I just had those fish put in the fall. It would be an expensive waste. Another thing is that I only have seen it on the catfish and not on the greenies.
© Pond Boss Forum