Pond Boss
Posted By: Gambusia Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 03:11 PM
How much do smallmouth bass fingerlings cost for stocking?

I guess it depends on size of the fingerlings?

Thank you
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 03:59 PM
Feed trained SMB can go for up to $1/inch - depending on supply, demand, and geography. Not many SMB hatcheries nationwide drives the price up. Rex had a pretty good source some time back with good pricing - that's where I sourced my original fish.
Posted By: Gambusia Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 06:04 PM
Depending on your existing fishery, smaller fish are obviously cheaper. PM Rainman, he can likely help source SMB for you. I have a small hatchery and raise SMB in NE, but all my fish have been sold out for the year since last Fall. Like I said, high demand, limited supply here in the Midwest.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 06:20 PM
All of my SMB are gone too for this year. Jones in Ohio is showing some, 3"-5" fish $6.95 each.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 06:48 PM
Gonna have to review my pricing!
Posted By: KSBASS Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 07:20 PM
My local fish guy here in Kansas Charlie Wallace Wallace Fish farms got me my SMB they were 5" to 6" fish and they cost $5.00 each he got them from the hatchery in Kingman Kansas I do beleive.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 08:18 PM
Too bad its not closer to NC...hatcheries are few and far between. I think Hartley's in KS has them, but not sure if they're feed trained. That adds 20-50% to the price in my experience. We lose sometimes a significant amount of fish feed training them which increases operating costs and accordingly the cost of the fish. SMB aren't too tough to feed train, however.
Posted By: Gambusia Re: Cost of stocking smallmouth bass? - 04/23/14 09:39 PM
Don't really need to source any.

I had just heard they were very expensive to purchase and stock.

Thanks for the replies
© Pond Boss Forum