Pond Boss
Posted By: MikeC Does anyone grow out fish in an aquarium? - 11/17/08 12:51 AM
I have been thinking of doing this with some HSB fingerlings and maybe to feed train some LMB. Does anyone do this?
 Originally Posted By: MikeC
I have been thinking of doing this with some HSB fingerlings and maybe to feed train some LMB. Does anyone do this?

I don't see why it can't be done as long as you don't overload the capacity of the aquarium. Ater all an aquarium is nothing more than small version of the commerical recirculating aquaculture systems out there.

You could put some size on them over the winter vs. none at all outside in a pond.
Most 100 gallon (or less) aquariums don't have enough space to house much more than a few 8-10" fish... which might be exactly what you are looking for, but you can also get a 150-250 gallon plastic stock tank for much less money (and alot less weight) and put it in your basement.
Here's another option:

http://srac.tamu.edu/tmppdfs/2662640-SRA...d2e049232607930

This thread may be of interest too:

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=138138#Post138138
Posted By: MikeC Re: Does anyone grow out fish in an aquarium? - 11/17/08 03:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: IowaNate
Most 100 gallon (or less) aquariums don't have enough space to house much more than a few 8-10" fish... which might be exactly what you are looking for, but you can also get a 150-250 gallon plastic stock tank for much less money (and alot less weight) and put it in your basement.

Do you put a filter or an airpump in these for water quality?

What is a good place to get one of these?

My wife is gonna love this!
See Cecil Envy for the origin and operation of the Po' Boy RAS, a simple system using a watering trough and frequent flushing with fresh water that can be scaled up to (probably) any size tank you'd care to find space for.

This type system was featured in an article in the Jan-Feb 2007 issue of PBMag.
I grow out chain pickerel this way over winter to add to uncle's farm pond. Neat to watch as you need to feed them live fish. Only issue as mentioned above is you can't fit too many fish in a small tank. I run normal filtration and change the water periodically and also add aquarium salt to keep disease down. I always wonder how they will survive in the "wild" of the farm pind once released as they are used to being fed and don't have much room to swim around in the tank. I wonder if they get eaten by larger fish quickly or at least maybe have a tough time finding their own food since they are used to being hand fed.
© Pond Boss Forum