Pond Boss
Posted By: Jakeroo Flooded trees in lake - 06/17/13 09:58 PM
I am sure it varies based on tree species but does anyone have an idea how long it will be before flooded trees start falling over? So far most of them look to be alive and kicking.
Posted By: Instar Re: Flooded trees in lake - 06/17/13 10:35 PM
You answered your own question...it depends on the specie.
Posted By: cliffwill Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/29/13 12:15 PM
Can you be specific in your question ? We are not getting what you asked about.

Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/29/13 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
I am sure it varies based on tree species but does anyone have an idea how long it will be before flooded trees start falling over? So far most of them look to be alive and kicking.

Can you post pictures? I love the look of flooded timber!
I've even looked into bald cypress trees that grow in water.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 12:15 AM
Jake, some trees last darn near forever.
Posted By: esshup Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 12:49 AM
Or become roosting spots for massive flocks of birds who poop massive amounts of nutrients into your pond.
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Or become roosting spots for massive flocks of birds who poop massive amounts of nutrients into your pond.

Come on esshup..lol..isnt that a "massive" worst possible case scenario?
Posted By: highflyer Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 01:48 AM
Mark, remember this?

I did not have the heart to discourage them because of the drought that year.
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 02:14 AM
Wow Brian how often is it like that? I've got a friend near Gainesville that has flooded timber in his 7 acre pond and he's never had a problem.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 02:20 AM
Birds have killed the trees on the islands of Lake Texoma in a matter of only a couple of years.
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 02:42 AM
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Birds have killed the trees on the islands of Lake Texoma in a matter of only a couple of years.

why is it they kill trees on an
island but not trees on the banks?
Posted By: highflyer Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 02:50 AM
Mark, that was during the drought two years ago. We did not have any last year but we have had some starting to show up this year as a lot of ponds around us are drying up again. Side note my neighbor across the street had a pond that is down 15 feet. Another has a small pond that filled up earlier this year, but it too is shrinking fast. Man we need some good rains.
Posted By: esshup Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 03:16 AM
Zep, those are the flocks of birds that I was talking about. Highflyer, I'm suprised your neighbors pond didn't fill up more this Spring with the rains that you had (or should I say that I thought you had).
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 03:22 AM
esshup..I know I am in the minority, but I like flooded timber..and I like lots of trees right along the shore too..I grew up with it...I think it's beautiful. IMO Brian's video is an extreme worst case example. No hard feelings but I guess it's a 2EachHisOwn.
Posted By: esshup Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 03:27 AM
I like it too, but I'm just painting the flip side of the coin so the pond owner knows both sides of the story. That way he can make a decision knowing the best and worst of the situation.
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 03:40 AM
I like it too

You do?

I'm just painting the flip side of the coin so the pond owner knows both sides of the story. That way he can make a decision knowing the best and worst of the situation.

Don't worry I know he'll get plenty of doom and gloom about flooded timber...lol. Plus I guess it's obvious this guy wants the timber gone from his water anyway so it's a mute point.

I wonder how much timber he has in his pond? You would think rather than waiting for trees to fall over, if he's that anxious maybe he could use a chainsaw to cut them down?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 10:49 AM
Zep, those are the flocks of birds that I was talking about. Highflyer, I'm suprised your neighbors pond didn't fill up more this Spring with the rains that you had (or should I say that I thought you had).

Scott, we've had a fair amount of rain, but it's been coming 1/2" to 1" at a time. Dave calls it a farmer's rain. I've only had one day this year where the 2 pipes that dump my watershed even had water flowing through them.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 12:35 PM
I haven't had overflow in years.
Posted By: esshup Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 12:52 PM
Zep:

None of the lakes around here have any flooded timber - they are too old. I have good memories of fishing around stumps that were in the lake, cut off just about flush with the water. Drop a nightcrawler on the shady side and you'd usually catch a LMB. I've fished flooded timber down South, in some larger lakes, and the experience was almost as good.
Posted By: george1 Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 02:24 PM
Dead trees in Lake Fork at one time were called "widow-makers".
Posted By: ewest Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 02:35 PM
They are that on land as well. Bump in to them or a gust of wind and the top can come out and make yours a widow.
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 03:38 PM
Eric we have a huge tree that is hollowed out with a giant bee nest. I assume the wind will eventually knock it over as it continues to be hollowed out. It's in an isolated area so we will probably just let nature take it's course.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 03:46 PM
The whole north end of my larger pond is filled with flooded (dead)timber...I didn't really plan that, but when the 7 acre pond fills up in 48 hours it's sort of hard to mitigate.

I've been slowly dropping the larger trees as I can - I keep hoping for a good freeze so I can drop them from 'solid ground' rather than from a boat, but that has yet to happen.

The trees in my pond died all within a couple of months of the pond filling. No more than 6 months for sure.
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 04:31 PM
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
The trees in my pond died all within a couple of months of the pond filling. No more than 6 months for sure.

dlowrance...just curious was most of that six months in the dead of winter when your pond iced-over? it seems like at Lake Fork in Texas which was full of flooded trees many of them stayed alive longer than six months. In Caddo Lake the Cypress trees actually grow and thrive in the water.

Posted By: ewest Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 07:33 PM
It depends on the type of tree and how much of its roots stay under water.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/30/13 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: dlowrance

dlowrance...just curious was most of that six months in the dead of winter when your pond iced-over? it seems like at Lake Fork in Texas which was full of flooded trees many of them stayed alive longer than six months. In Caddo Lake the Cypress trees actually grow and thrive in the water.

The pond filled in November...about half the trees didn't bloom that next spring and the rest of them were dead by May/June. Part of my situation may have had to do with the fact that most of the trees were 10 + feet below water. They were mostly in a draw that I flooded. So the roots were WAY covered.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/31/13 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: jludwig

why is it they kill trees on an
island but not trees on the banks?

I believe the birds think that the island is a safe haven.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/31/13 01:25 AM
The latest pond we built has some flooded willows and cedar trees. The willows are still growing and thriving whereas the cedar trees have "drowned out". The willows have been there was long as I remember due that spot being wetter than the surrounding ground.
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Flooded trees in lake - 07/31/13 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: george1
Dead trees in Lake Fork at one time were called "widow-makers".

Yea, it made widows from all the guys leaving to go fishing all the time!
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Flooded trees in lake - 08/20/13 08:46 PM
I had no idea there were so many responses to this thread. I am still fairly new here and probably have been using bad techniques to monitor threads. I will be back at the pond this weekend for some tree rat removal and will take some pictures of the flooded fingers.

I am not in a hurry for the trees to be gone, I think it makes an interesting place for the fish habitat. I just wanted to get an idea of what I am up against going forward. I appreciate all of the knowledge here from the members of this forum.
Posted By: Zep Re: Flooded trees in lake - 08/20/13 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
I had no idea there were so many responses to this thread.

Jakeroo I would advise listening to the experts and not me.
Post some pictures if you can. I would love to see your timber.

ps: thanks to you and all the talk of flooded timber
in this thread I made my Fall reservation at Caddo Lake! smile

http://www.perchpoint.com/PerchPoint.php

© Pond Boss Forum