Pond Boss
Posted By: lifeisgood What causes bass to spawn - 04/22/13 09:06 PM
I have large mouth in my 2.5 acre pond that are 1.5 years old this spring. First, should they spawn this spring and if so, what cause it? Is it the length of days, the water temperature, or what?
Posted By: esshup Re: What causes bass to spawn - 04/23/13 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: lifeisgood
I have large mouth in my 2.5 acre pond that are 1.5 years old this spring. First, should they spawn this spring and if so, what cause it? Is it the length of days, the water temperature, or what?

Yes. Water temp will make them go on and off the nests if it changes, but the photoperiod also has to be in place. i.e. I doubt that they'll spawn in the Fall with the same photoperiod because the water temp is different than the Spring - cooling down vs. warming up.
Posted By: CoachB Re: What causes bass to spawn - 04/23/13 02:12 AM
I think it is a cute fish and a swish of the tail (sorry, I couldn't resist).
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: What causes bass to spawn - 04/23/13 12:26 PM
Thanks, I was expecting to see signs of them on the nest this spring, but with the ups and downs of temperature this spring was wondering if the temperature was messing with them. So far no sign of nesting bass.
Posted By: ewest Re: What causes bass to spawn - 04/23/13 03:28 PM
We just now have swim-up size LMB fry. You are likely a few days away (next full moon 4-25-26) from a spawn unless you get a cold snap. Are your LMB to 12 inches yet?
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: What causes bass to spawn - 04/23/13 04:20 PM
I wanted to hit the full moon this month but we just got some cold air and it is only 38 out now. Was warm the last week or so and the crappie bite was on, this sure put a stop to that.
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: What causes bass to spawn - 04/24/13 03:13 AM
oh yes, many are 15 inches or so
© Pond Boss Forum