Pond Boss
Posted By: azteca Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/13/22 06:53 PM
Hello.

Wow, finally I saw the Japanese beetle parasite.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The first picture without the parasite.
The second picture with the parasite

The white dot on the beetle is the parasite of a small fly that came from the U.S.A.
This is the first time I have seen it.
A+
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/13/22 07:09 PM
That looks like the beetles that get in poop and carry it underground to lay eggs
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/14/22 10:43 PM
Pat: Tumblebugs
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/15/22 12:38 AM
Japanese beetles have been plaguing us here in the Midwest (USA) for several years now. Some years, not so bad, some local areas will have them bad while a few miles away hardly a notice. They can devour a fruit tree or decorative shrub of good size in no time. Wicked little eaters of leaves!

They are not dung beetles and about a quarter of the size, or smaller.
Posted By: SherWood Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/15/22 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
Japanese beetles have been plaguing us here in the Midwest (USA) for several years now. Some years, not so bad, some local areas will have them bad while a few miles away hardly a notice. They can devour a fruit tree or decorative shrub of good size in no time. Wicked little eaters of leaves!

They are not dung beetles and about a quarter of the size, or smaller.

Exactly that, my friend a few miles down the road is getting her gardens hammered by those things while I've seen 5 total this summer in mine.
Posted By: Augie Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/15/22 02:51 PM
Liquid Seven drops japanese beetles in no time. Look for Carbaryl 4L at your local farm-n-home store.

I've had a relatively minor infestation this summer. They show up, I spray. Couple days later they're back, so I spray again.
I put a pheremone trap over the pond a couple weeks ago, but haven't seen a single bug buzzing around it. It's one that I
found under a stack of stuff in the potting shed so it may just need a fresh lure wafer installed.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/15/22 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Pat: Tumblebugs
Dave they aren’t the same as the black ones, they look like the pix and will clean up dog poop and carry it underground
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/16/22 12:21 AM
I hope the parasite truly disrupts their lifecycle and somehow eliminates them all!
Posted By: RAH Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/16/22 10:59 AM
When Japanese beetles first came into our area many years ago, they were plentiful for a few years and then the population crashed. Now we see very few. I guessed some natural control took over, but I don't know what it is.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Japanese beetle parasite. - 07/17/22 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by RAH
When Japanese beetles first came into our area many years ago, they were plentiful for a few years and then the population crashed. Now we see very few. I guessed some natural control took over, but I don't know what it is.

Somewhat that way around here, some yrs ago they were everywhere, I literally set one of those traps over a piece of pvc pipe and filled a 4ft section of 4" pipe with them, several times, but we havent had nearly as many lately, I do keep traps out but have not got as many in them in two weeks as I used to get in a couple hrs back then. as Augie said, seven takes them out but I am not a huge fan of using it unless as a last resort, we have a shortage of bees around here and seem to getting more sparse by the day. friend of mine lost several hives in the last several yrs. I do use some on like grapes and young fruit trees and stuff that the bees wont be on anytime soon anyways. them beetles can sure make a tree look bad. and fast.
© Pond Boss Forum