Pond Boss
Posted By: Lovnlivin Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 12:49 PM
Over the past few weeks I've noticed more and more corn stalks floating in the pond and then found this trail leading from the corn field, less than 100' from one edge of the pond:

And being at full pool over the past month I've been seeing signs of a beaver (chew marks on trees), and then found that it got one:

I mention full pool as I wonder if that's what has brought the beaver back. I've seen no signs of any since after I first moved here in 2012, until now. Could the beaver also be the culprit of the corn stalks?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 12:54 PM
Your resident beaver is definitely the corn stalk culprit, I have seen them do that along the river bottom where I bow hunt.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 12:58 PM
Seen them do that in wheat fields too when the wheat is green just in head.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 01:08 PM
Looks like a hunting/trapping evolution needs to be started....
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 01:18 PM
I'd let the tree there for it to eat and your crumlord to deal with when your lease is up. May be a good spot to start fishin around.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 01:19 PM
Thanks guys!

Seeing the narrow path, it may be a good place for a trap although, a beaver would be a first for me and I'm sure my conibear 110's are too small.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
I'd let the tree there for it to eat and your crumlord to deal with when your lease is up. May be a good spot to start fishin around.

Bob-O, he could care less, he just wants my fish. That tree's staying for the reasons mentioned and there's others currently being worked like this one. Trapping one is for my own curiosity of seeing one up close and personal smile .

Although, where this tree is, is where the runoff enters the pond. So if the beav creates a dam here, it could get interesting!

Posted By: basslover Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 02:26 PM
Keith -

You're still moving on (out)? In state, out of state?

As for the beaver, I would have thought a gentleman of your age would have seen at least one beaver up close and in person by now ...

You will want a 330 body trap for that beaver.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: basslover
Keith -

As for the beaver, I would have thought a gentleman of your age would have seen at least one beaver up close and in person by now ...

Yes, still moving out but undecided on where at this point.

LOL on the beaver comment and I would say you're right, although not after being trapped,,,,, per se whistle . Maybe lured? grin
Posted By: basslover Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/04/16 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Originally Posted By: basslover
Keith -

Yes, still moving out but undecided on where at this point.

LOL on the beaver comment and I would say you're right, although not after being trapped,,,,, per se whistle . Maybe lured? grin

Glad to see you've got your sense of humor there smile Clearly you picked up on what I was referring to ...
Posted By: HarryD Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/22/16 02:30 PM
whistle whistle whistle

Moving right along...a few years back I met a couple that ran a small hotel at the end of the world (literally, in Pt. Williams, Chile) and had a pet beaver with a damaged paw. That thing chewed everything in sight! Let me see if I can find you a picture.

Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/22/16 05:24 PM
The Beaver needs to chew and always chew or their teeth will grow into their head and kill them.
Posted By: esshup Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/24/16 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
The Beaver needs to chew and always chew or their teeth will grow into their head and kill them.

Just like rabbits, squirrels and any rodent.
Posted By: RAH Re: Corn stalks in pond - 08/24/16 10:01 PM
or lagomorph/rabbit (sorry to be a biology geek)
© Pond Boss Forum