Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 Pond Flies - 06/27/14 11:21 AM
CH BRIMANATORS

Hey Guys, Circle Hooks been on a thread lately so tied up some Brimanators on #4 circle hooks.

The hooks are heavy enough for a slow sink and will catch any species in our ponds. Feed trained species like them since tied them stubby and profile looks like a pellet.
Non feed trained species think they are a bug!
George

[/quote]
Posted By: vamaz Re: Pond Flies - 06/27/14 12:52 PM
I bet they tear em up, George! Do you just let em sink, or do you strip them in at all?

I started out fishing nymphs and wet flies early this spring and have had such consistent success that I've yet to switch to dry flies and poppers. I used to prefer fishing on top just because it was obvious when you got a bite, but have now gotten better at recognizing bites when fishing deeper.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Flies - 06/27/14 03:30 PM
I really don't strip them as such, but point my rod tip at the water and keep slack out of line - be a line watcher.
Don't set the hook with circle hooks - just tighten up the line and hook will catch fish in corner of mouth.
G/
Posted By: mnfish Re: Pond Flies - 06/27/14 05:23 PM
George you are a true craftsman. Those flies, like a lot of others you have posted, are almost too pretty to use!
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Pond Flies - 06/27/14 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: mnfish
George you are a true craftsman. Those flies, like a lot of others you have posted, are almost too pretty to use!

Not too pretty for me to use!!! Where's the order sheet?..
Posted By: mnfish Re: Pond Flies - 06/27/14 05:43 PM
Great call outdoor! George?
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Flies - 06/28/14 10:42 AM
Hey Guys, I don’t sell flies, only gave them away back in the old days before my fingers began to shake and blurred vision set in ..I tie from "memory” these days. grin
I need to pass the torch and get some of you fly fishermen to take up the slack.
Here’s a video recipe for tyin’ the Brimanator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYFlHwFeHo

I tie my brimanators on a larger hook and omit the eyes when I want a slow fall. If a fast fall is desired use the bead chain eyes.

Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Pond Flies - 06/28/14 07:37 PM
Confused on the tied them stubby? Did you incorporate a pellet into the body area of the fly?
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Flies - 06/29/14 07:15 PM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
Confused on the tied them stubby? Did you incorporate a pellet into the body area of the fly?

Nope, I tie them short and fat to have "stubby" profile of a fish pellet....in muddy water I have "tipped" them with a "pinch" of Stubby Steve lure material. Better to use Stubby Steve pellet flies under extreme turbid conditions.
Sorry for the confusion.
George
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Pond Flies - 06/30/14 03:59 AM
Thanks for clarification... Didn't appear to have a pellet incorporated into it in the pics, but sometimes hard to tell..
© Pond Boss Forum