Pond Boss
I recently finished installing a 8" Siphon Pipe system for my pond. Is teflon tape recommended to get the proper seal on the threaded components that screw into the "T" fiting? This is the component that comes off the main 8" pipe before going into the dam on the water side. I'm concerned about the 2" converter screw in. I have it together without teflon. Will I get a good seal on my system when the water gets high enough to create the syphon?
Teflon Tape will work, but for the best possible seal on any threaded-pipe plumbing project throw out the teflon tape and use TFP Paste (Also made of teflon)instead. It will lubricate the threads allowing you to tighen the joint better while establishing a leakproof seal that will never corrode and will always stay flexible.
P.S. to my last post...

I would think that if all you are doing is screwing in a check-cap type fitting that you may not need any seal material: The fitting should be snug enough "as is" to maintain your siphon pressure.

The seal could even leak a small amount and still work assuming the siphon pressure is high enough. (Is the siphon outlet much lower than the water level inside your pond--The bigger the drop, thi higher the pressure, and the greater the siphon flow rate.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input Tim. My thoughts were the same about not needing teflon tape or the paste. I just needed someone to confirm my thought.
© Pond Boss Forum