Pond Boss
Posted By: jignpig high hopes - 05/24/14 02:08 AM
like most bass guys, i get excited when i catch one that's 22". i get even more excited when i catch one that's 8 pounds. but i get REAL excited when i catch one that's both.

this is a pre-spawn pic from a few weeks ago. she weighed 8-3. now post-spawn, she's already starting to gorge herself again and her weight is starting to climb back up. weighed 8-0 this evening. Relative weight 130. Barring catastrophe, i reasonably expect her to be about 8-12 by the time cold weather gets here again and maybe over 9 by next spring. but a lot could happen between now and then. i'll keep my fingers crossed. grow baby grow!

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: high hopes - 05/24/14 02:13 AM
Boy it would have been really really good to have a width of mouth measurement (gape) for that dandy big bass.
Posted By: jignpig Re: high hopes - 05/24/14 02:41 AM
small mouth on this one for her size Bill. probably not any more gape than the 5 pounder i just removed and posted about recently. that one was 4". i am quite sure this one was 4" as well, give or take a fraction. but this is an atypical fish. real small head/large body. the 5 that i culled was just the opposite - big head/small body. if i can catch her again, i'll try get you an exact gape measure. sorry for forgetting. that's just not something i'm used to doing.
Posted By: MSC Re: high hopes - 05/24/14 05:03 AM
Wow that's a beauty.
Posted By: Sunil Re: high hopes - 05/24/14 03:01 PM
At least she didn't soak you!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: high hopes - 05/24/14 03:04 PM
Hey jignpig, great looking fish.

Are you the same jignpig on BassCat forums?
Posted By: jignpig Re: high hopes - 05/25/14 12:48 AM
no.
Posted By: MSC Re: high hopes - 05/25/14 11:30 AM
So what did you catch her on? smile
Posted By: jignpig Re: high hopes - 05/25/14 02:23 PM
berkley havoc pit boss. lime purple passion.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_Havoc_Skeets_Pit_Boss/descpage-BHSP.html#multiview
Posted By: jignpig Re: high hopes - 10/17/14 01:08 AM
hey guys. thought i'd try to catch her again today to see how she was doing. and i was happy i did. 5 months later and she is showing some real nice growth. tiny bit over 22" with a 9 oz. wt. gain. 8-12 on the nose today. she was very soft bellied so i don't think she's eaten in a few days. otherwise she could have seriously pushed 9. baby got back! (and front, and sides) big every way she could be. but unless this fish is younger than i think, she appears to be destined to be a little on the short side. but if she can just make it to 24" with these proportions, i'll be a happy man. fingers still crossed. hope y'all are all doing well over here at pb.

Posted By: esshup Re: high hopes - 10/17/14 02:25 AM
Dang, that's a great LMB!! Thanks for the update.
Posted By: loretta Re: high hopes - 10/17/14 05:44 AM
Uh oh, did you forget to measure the moth gape for Bill Cody?

Nice fish! I'm glad your holding her nicer. smile
Posted By: Sunil Re: high hopes - 10/17/14 05:07 PM
Tuna!!!!
Posted By: dlowrance Re: high hopes - 10/17/14 08:26 PM
Wow she's a hog! If I caught one that size she'd be measure and lots of pics, then she'd be sent over to Cecil to get me a replica made. That big ole girl needs to have a replica up on a wall somewhere!!
Posted By: jignpig Re: high hopes - 10/18/14 10:48 PM
thanks guys. i'll keep y'all posted. funny thing is, i got a couple of smaller fish coming up behind this one that i'm even more excited about. but if this fish survives, at her current rate of growth she will be a teen fish in about 3 years. i might get a replica made then. but a lot can happen in 3 years and the pond has taught me more than once not to count trophy bass until you're holding them.

if there is such a thing as an "easy part" to growing big bass, it's getting them up to the 4-6 pound class. after that, you are in a battle with father time and mother nature. not all of the fish in the pond can become trophies. and not all the ones that can will. i just try to identify the ones that have a good shot, dedicate my efforts towards them, and get the others out of the way.
Posted By: snrub Re: high hopes - 10/18/14 11:06 PM
Hope you make it with her to the "teens". Great looking fish.

I'll be happy if I can even get to the "easy part" with a number of fish in the 4-6# range. Mine have only been in the pond a year this November and the biggest ones are about 14". So got a ways to go.

Posts like yours give me encouragement and keep my interest level up. Thanks.
Posted By: jignpig Re: high hopes - 04/05/15 10:14 PM
happy Easter Pond Boss friends!!!

5 1/2 mo. later she is still barely over 22". but she has ballooned to 10 lbs. 1 oz. and still no gape measure. doh! sorry. no signs of spawning yet, so perhaps a few oz. of that is roe. still, a remarkable specimen.

keep growing baby. i have a real good feelin' about you..........

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: high hopes - 04/05/15 10:31 PM
She is a sweetheart bass. Some day she is going to quit biting your offerings unless she has a special longing for the tender touch of your hand. Cody note: use you cleaver mind; next time you catch her break a stick, twig, or weed stem as wide as her mouth so it just fits across the gape.

You are making Dwight very jealous by showing a 10 lb bass since he is trying to grow Darlene to 10 pounds of fighting machine in WI.
Posted By: jignpig Re: high hopes - 04/06/15 06:22 PM
who's Dwight? if he has the skill to grow even an 8 or 9 in WI, i need to be learning from this man. a 10 would be quite the feat. are there pics of Darlene? i would be quite curious to get measurements, weights, etc. for comparison.

thanks Bill. and i will try to remember to measure gape next time i promise.
© Pond Boss Forum