Pond Boss
Posted By: rebeccapond how long to drain pond - 06/09/08 07:32 PM
i dont need a scientific answer just an estimate. how long will it take to siphen a pond as low as i can get it using a 6 in pipe. the pond is 5 acres with it being 3 to 5 feet in most parts and about ten in front of the dam. one week? 2 week? what you think?
Posted By: ewest Re: how long to drain pond - 06/09/08 07:45 PM
No more than 2 weeks assuming no rain and no beavers or rats.
Posted By: Brettski Re: how long to drain pond - 06/09/08 07:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: rebeccapond
i dont need a scientific answer just an estimate...

...Theo need not respond
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: how long to drain pond - 06/09/08 08:08 PM
Then I won't bother asking for the elevation or local gravity value. (Pthhhhht!)
Posted By: otto Re: how long to drain pond - 06/10/08 11:38 AM
Two weeks should do it.

Keeping the water going is always fun keep us posted.
Tell us how long it is taking and if you are having any problems.

OttO
Posted By: bobad Re: how long to drain pond - 06/10/08 02:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: rebeccapond
i dont need a scientific answer just an estimate. how long will it take to siphen a pond as low as i can get it using a 6 in pipe. the pond is 5 acres with it being 3 to 5 feet in most parts and about ten in front of the dam. one week? 2 week? what you think?

Assuming no leaks in your siphon pipe, I would go with 1 week. A 6" pipe can move some serious water!

The higher the inlet is above the outlet, the faster the water will flow. Assuming 6', that'll get you about 66,000 gallons per hour, or probably 10 million gallons per week.
Posted By: Brettski Re: how long to drain pond - 06/10/08 02:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Then I won't bother asking for the elevation or local gravity value. (Pthhhhht!)

I don't want to deprive rebeccapond of your thorough and accurate analysis, so...
Please unfold your 3-D BB and chime in.
Posted By: ezylman Re: how long to drain pond - 06/10/08 04:38 PM
Well, with a few sticks of dynamite or a backhoe, it would take a day or two to drain. \:\)

With a 6" syphon, it depends on the drop like Bobad said. Two weeks would be a safe bet, but being surprised by one week wouldn't hurt either.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: how long to drain pond - 06/10/08 06:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

I don't want to deprive rebeccapond of your thorough and accurate analysis, so...
Please unfold your 3-D BB and chime in.

Nope. Phineas J. Whoopee never expounded after having been snubbed by Tennessee and Chumley.
© Pond Boss Forum