Pond Boss
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Dog death - 06/04/16 08:45 PM
Our old (over 11.5 years) redbone hound got to where she couldn't eat or drink, and after vet care, a lot of good home care, and soul searching, the decision was made with our vet to put her to sleep late this morning. Here she is yesterday sleeping peacefully by one of her favorite shade trees.

Attached picture Scarlet 6-3-16.png
Posted By: Zep Re: Dog death - 06/04/16 08:54 PM
I bet she was a special dog. Sorry for your loss. God Bless...
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Dog death - 06/04/16 09:18 PM
Sad day for sure, sorry for your loss!
Posted By: tubguy Re: Dog death - 06/04/16 09:46 PM
John I am so sorry for your loss! We had one of our Redbones die over the winter(8yrs old).They are a very intelligent breed and are great with kids and have a good disposition.
Posted By: RAH Re: Dog death - 06/04/16 10:19 PM
Sorry for your loss. We have always had dogs and it is always hard to lose a friend.
Posted By: ewest Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 01:06 AM
Love those Redbones!! Great dogs .

Check out Rainbow bridge. Unconditional love !
Posted By: highflyer Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 01:10 AM
Dogs are as close to family as a pet can get, and the loss of one is among the hardest things to endure.

I am always comforted by the memories of our past dogs. Hope your memories are as comforting.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 01:32 AM
Stay strong, John.

What was her name?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Stay strong, John.

What was her name?

Scarlet
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 02:01 AM
Sorry about that. Dogs lives are far too short in my opinion. Not looking forward to our little pup getting old.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 12:35 PM
Rest well, Scarlet.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 02:13 PM
Loosing a best friend is the hardest thing. Remember the good times.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 03:52 PM
I miss her badly when I walk over to the pond. She would frequently go with me. She wasn't able to go for the past week before she died.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dog death - 06/05/16 07:57 PM
Yeah, all those very routine-ish things that you did together, and the character of the dog.
Posted By: esshup Re: Dog death - 06/06/16 03:07 AM
My condolences to you. I know how hard it is.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Dog death - 06/06/16 11:57 AM
Sometimes we remember the good times the best by what our pets did during them. Also, dogs are faithful companions and have that child-like trust.

Are there different breeds/coloration of redbone? My brother's family is still looking for a good family oriented puppy that can be trusted with small children.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Dog death - 06/06/16 02:37 PM
canyoncreek,
Scarlet was originally a rescue when she was about nine months old (vet's guess). We got her when she was a few months over two years old (best guess by a couple of veterinarians), in February 2007 because the people who had her lived on a paved road and had only a four foot chainlink fence that she continually jumped, and would seek out game and neighbors trash. We had a good six foot fence. The first time we took her to our vet later that spring, he remarked that she was about the most docile dog he had ever seen. But, she would play hard, and wasn't socialized to children, so we kept her away from them until she got much older.
I think if your brother got a redbone hound as a pup, and raised it with the children, it would be very good with the children. They are affectionate, but somewhat aloof and do not require or seek frequent attention. Definitely not a lapdog. He needs a good fence for a young hound. Scarlet, in middle age, once took a possum off the very top of our six foot privacy fence in one mighty leap, and crushed it before I could do anything.
The coloration is all a nice deep reddish brown, with perhaps a white hand on the chest. In the picture, you can see her muzzle and face is nearly all gray, but it was originally the same color as her back.

She was the best dog I ever had, and I have had six others in my life.
Posted By: Old Wood Re: Dog death - 06/07/16 03:50 PM
John, very sorry for your loss. I have had and have a great dog now. Now is a 357 breed MUTT!I always wanted a Redbone after reading Where a Red Fern Grows.
© Pond Boss Forum