Pond Boss
Posted By: JKB Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/02/15 09:59 PM
What???
Your loose change, Sir?
Yes I do!

I was asked that at a gas station today.

The explanation was that a lot of people don't want to bother with loose coin change, so they are willing to take it off your hands free and just give you bills back. The sister gas station to this one started doing this a couple months ago and is raking in a few extra grand per week. The guy told me that it get's shared with the employees that participate, but not all will. There is a No Change button on the cash register to keep track of it.

Saving loose change adds up over time, so I'll keep mine.
Wow that's incredible, I was told once watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves
Posted By: JKB Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/02/15 11:49 PM
I told this to a gal at the local general store. She said when the camp ground is full and tubers are everywhere, a lot do not want the loose change back. Except in her case, the owner keeps it. There are hundreds of people per hour going thru that place, and they ranked a few times last summer as the #1 in the state of MI for Budweiser sales in one day. It's a zoo at times!!
Posted By: timshufflin Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/02/15 11:52 PM
I am on of those that tells them to keep my worthless change. Our money hasn't been worth much in 8 years. Unless it's at least a dollar bill, keep it.
Posted By: JKB Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/02/15 11:57 PM
Last I checked, $0.99 is a penny shy of a dollar. You can give it to them tho.

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 12:06 AM
FWIW I will pick up a penny if I see it in a parking lot. Even if it is in a puddle. On the flip side, a couple weeks back, an old gal in line at the grocery was trying to figure out which item she needed to put back cause she was a dollar and change short of what she needed. I pulled out a handful of change from my pocket and problem was solved. You would have thought I gave her a million bucks. All those coins add up.....
Posted By: JKB Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 12:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
FWIW I will pick up a penny if I see it in a parking lot. Even if it is in a puddle. On the flip side, a couple weeks back, an old gal in line at the grocery was trying to figure out which item she needed to put back cause she was a dollar and change short of what she needed. I pulled out a handful of change from my pocket and problem was solved. You would have thought I gave her a million bucks. All those coins add up.....

I hear ya Bill. I do the same thing when someone is in distress in the checkout with lack of funds. Hey I got it, and it's usually not much. Everyone is happy, and I get to check out much quicker wink

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 12:30 AM
I'm kinda picky as to who I will help in that situation. I saw this old gal's groceries lying there as they rang them up. Can of soup, cheapest TV dinner, small pack of pork chops, price reduced for quick sale.... Her menu for the week was laying there and she's trying to decide which meal to skip. I have been in the same situation where the groceries are steak, designer ice cream, etc. and I just let them put things back till they can pay. wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 12:45 AM
It's pretty easy to scope someone out at the checkout. We're not talking about footing the bill for Peg Bundy laugh
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 12:52 AM
I hear ya. The thing that really gets me is folks like my old gal are paying cash. Too many times I see the folks with steak and designer ice cream have a handful of food stamps!

Edit: I also see folks that have food stamps and are using them as intended. Those folks I'll dig my change out for!
Posted By: timshufflin Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 01:51 AM
.99 is .99 but what does it buy? It does not buy what it did buy just 8 years ago. Quantitative easing has created a scenario that makes many of us disrespect small change. Case in point, the gas station you mentioned to start this topic. They didn't just come up with this, people actually must be saying "keep the change" for this to happen. Look at the counter tops of many stores, they have penny dishes filled with not only pennies but silver colored coin as well.

To walk around with .20 in my pocket is uncomfortable and it will end up in the laundry. I have actual important items I need in my pockets like keys, the lint in my pocket is worth more than this governments coin. The decision involving the discomfort of the coins clanking around in my pocket is simple for me, those coins can buy nothing. If I need .20 I just reach in the penny dish next time I'm in need and use it. It seems to work out for me.

If people want to pick up every penny, that's fine. I'll leave them there and let someone who needs it pick it up.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 12:14 PM
Wow. On so many levels.
Dang right I want my change.

For a lot of years I banked it for my oldest grandkids. There's about $800 in each of their savings accounts for college. Since neither of them will ever go to college I have no idea what will happen to it.

Nowadays, I toss it into a jar. When a couple of teen Granddaughters come over, it's theirs. There was $67.00 the last time they raided it.

I rarely spend $1 bills. When I get $10 in 1's in my wallet I toss it in a drawer. When the stack gets too tall, I trade it in at the bank. Last time I had $170 that I blew on something.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 01:02 PM
Some food for thought. Here in Canada we have eliminated the penny. All your change is rounded up or down to five cents.

We have $1 coin and $2 coin so change will add up. I keep mine in my truck for coffee money and spring and fall I let my son clean my truck and he gets to keep my change. With the $1 and $2 they add up quick. Last spring I gave him $22 to clean my truck. Doa.

So do you want your change would not fly here in Canada.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 01:29 PM
All I can say is, Susan B Anthony dollar coins must be a source of tremendous mental and physical discomfort for some.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 01:51 PM
I'm so wealthy that I have a boy to start my motor scooter. Of course I pay him in pennies.
Posted By: gully washer Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 02:08 PM
A very smart man once said: "A penny saved is a penny earned"

Who still uses cash anyway?

About ten years ago I cashed in almost a thousand dollar's worth of loose change which had accumulated over the years as a result of purchasing things with cash. Nowadays, I use a credit card and the only thing I purchase with cash anymore is (***), and that idiot nor his mom ever has change for a twenty............. how convenient!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 02:25 PM
I won't leave the house without cash in my pocket. But I have come to realize that I'm an ever shrinking minority in that regard. Few things frost me quicker than having a customer pay for a $2 gasket with a credit card. Really? You don't have any money on you? Well the price on that $2 gasket just went up, as I have a $5 minimum policy.

Actually, I'm very close to stop accepting credit cards here in the shop. What a huge pain in the butt.
Posted By: esshup Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 02:57 PM
Tony, some places have a minimum for CC transactions, and some charge a 3% convenience fee for CC/debit card use. If I had a business that only dealt with face to face transactions, I'd add the convenience fee.

Call me cheap, a tightwad, whatever. But I won't walk past a penny on the ground and not pick it up.
Posted By: JKB Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 03:10 PM
This morning waiting in line at another place to pay for my coffee, this kid buy's a $0.35 pack of gum with a credit/debit card. That's just a tad silly to me.

I save all of my change, 1 and 5 dollar bills as well. Have a nice PLC box that fits about $700.00 in 1 dollar bills. Every few months I take it to the bank. Nice way to save a bit if you ask me.
Posted By: ewest Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 03:13 PM
I save my change and put it in a bucket and at this time of year sort it out , roll it and use it to buy toys for tots. The exercise in humility is good for me.
Posted By: timshufflin Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
I save my change and put it in a bucket and at this time of year sort it out , roll it and use it to buy toys for tots. The exercise in humility is good for me.

Exactly why I do the opposite smile I let the checkout guy/gal keep it or throw it in the jar for someone else who needs it, next time it might be me. Seriously, our coin is so worthless now that this is why you see people leaving so much silver colored stuff in the penny dish. Because of the cheapening of the dollar, it makes this "common" area one that people are willing to leave their "scraps" in for the next fella that might need it.

I got no bone to pick with those that find a penny and pick it up and nobody should have a bone to pick with others that find a penny and throw it in the penny dish. I don't save my deposit bottles either smile The smell, cleanliness, floor space needed to store silly 10 cent bottles just isn't worth it to me.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 05:08 PM
Several months ago, maybe even a year, I noticed that waiters/waitresses were not bringing me the coinage change when I paid with cash.

Now that is BOGUS!!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 05:23 PM
They sure don't want cash at hotels for reservations anymore! They look at you like you have some kind of disease if you want to pay cash. And yes I know why.
Posted By: Tums Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 05:40 PM
Lets just say 2,610,618 gallons of fuel reported purchased in the 3rd quarter. 1 Penny comes out to $26,106.18 and people still tell me a penny don't matter. LOL
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 05:48 PM
For several years I kept my coin change in a red plastic party cup in my truck's center console cup holders. I'd use the money for an occasional treat, like a Coke and country ham sandwich at the local gas-mart.

One day one of my friends who "chews" (Sunil -- think "Turtle Men") got in my truck and automatically grabbed the cup and let loose with a pretty good squiting of brown juice. I now keep my loose change in a small pail on my dresser.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 06:26 PM
Speaking of fuel purchases, I consider that one of the areas where credit cards have had a huge, beneficial impact...pay at the pump.

No waiting in line while someone scratches off lottery tickets, buys cigarettes or milk, or pays for their fuel using all that loose change we've been discussing. Just me and the pump, and a 60 second transaction. Genius.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 09:45 PM
I see a lot of folks still paying cash to get the 5 cent/gal cash discount available at all stations here. I found one station that gives you the 5 cent cash discount when you use your debit card as long as you hit debit instead of credit on the keypad at the pump. Makes me wonder if debit cards charge the vendors less than credit cards do?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 10:26 PM
We had a local station that was upset at customers who chose to pay at the pump instead of coming inside. They tried offering a free fountain drink with purchase of 7 or more gallons of fuel, but it guess it didn't work. Next thing you know, the pumps were all broken and would no longer give a fuel receipt. "Please see cashier" said the hand written note.

I bought fuel elsewhere.
Posted By: JKB Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 10:32 PM
Another station west of here is either prepay cash or slip in your card and pay at the pump. If you pay cash with one of their rewards cards, you get a discount/gal. If you pay at the pump, oh well.

They do want you to come inside and buy other things, and that place has the best darn apple fritters I have ever had, not to mention their other bakery items.

I'm just a tad curious as to how the lint in my pocket is going to buy anything? If that really is true, then I am a rich man grin
Posted By: gully washer Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/03/15 11:40 PM
A weird random thought:

I rarely use a credit card for small purchases, largely because I seldom make small purchases. I quit smoking cigarettes 11 years ago, therefore I seldom have reason to shop at a convenience store anymore. I've come to the conclusion that convenience stores primarily cater to people's addictions, be it tobacco, alcohol, gambling (lotto), coffee, junk food, soda pops, newspapers, etc....... Sure, people occasionally purchase household, and food staples at a convenience store, but it's hardly the preferred venue at which to shop for such items. Not counting gasoline, I'd guesstimate that over 90% of a convenience store's sales feed an addiction of some sort. Especially stores in urban areas............. I wonder if any convenience stores have ever been named, Quick Fix. lol
Posted By: JKB Re: Do you want your change back, Sir? - 11/04/15 12:19 AM
I hate waiting for lottery people. A number of places up here have a lottery register and another one for non-lottery purchases. They don't man that one all the time, so it becomes inconvenient.

There will be no cars in the parking lot, but always a line of people inside...
© Pond Boss Forum