Pond Boss
Posted By: snrub Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 12:20 AM
Just caught the weather. Brutal cold coming up north, and you Texas guys might even want to think about looking up your long underwear.

Hits about Monday or Tuesday here in Kansas. 67 high on Monday and 42 high on Tuesday.

Too cold for the first part of November. Weather channel guy says stuff coming for the record books.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 01:43 AM
Hey we are looking at midteens for lows and snow showers next week in Norhtern Illinois. Brrrr is right! And of course I have a shipment of trees coming in about then I have to plant!
Bill
What kind of trees are you planning on planting?

I get cold in the 50s brrrr with a east wind you can't get warm

Pat W
Pat, I guess we ought to buy a coat.
Dave
I just don't see how the guys north of us can stand those frigid temps. I know this next cold front is a good one cause the geese are showing up in bunches today. Sign or winter brrrrr

Pat W
Yessir, going into the low 40's here Tuesday. I gotta head South.
Posted By: Zep Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 03:32 AM
I was in it this week in Colorado. Took this picture Tues morning going over Slumgullion Pass (the steepest grade of any continuously paved road in Colorado). Although it was beautiful, Texas boys really should not attempt such things in U-Haul trucks.

Posted By: Dwight Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 02:27 PM
56F for today's high, then it goes down hill fast. Grilling some New York Strips on the barby this evening.
Posted By: Dirk Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 04:15 PM
highs in the 40's, I laugh. I wish it be that here. were looking at highs of upper 20's and lows in the teens. My only problem with those temps are it'll make ice on the river effectively ending my fishing for the year. Just when the fishing was getting good too.
Oh, well its just as well it freezes rather than just hoovering at freezing temps. its tough to swing a spey rod when your guides are wads of ice anyways.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 04:22 PM
28 degrees here this morning. Catching bluegills on micro jigs and Gulp! maggots.....
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 04:39 PM
Can't wait - hope for an early lock up so we can have another long ice fishing season. Last year we fished from early December through February - about 10 weeks. That's a heckuva long season for SE Nebraska.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 08:12 PM
A few inches of snow this morning :-(. Didn't it just stop snowing two months ago?
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/07/14 09:24 PM
Should be getting some snow next week when the low's dip into the teens.

Glad they got the heat working in the new shop we just moved into a month ago.

We're renting a spot in a 40,000 sq-ft section of a building that's mainly used for storage of automotive service parts. 4 ceiling furnaces and the thermostats are hanging from the furnaces so you need a lift to get to them. They were all cranked up to 70F when they were fired up. Ummm... they kinda run all the time. I've only ever noticed two of them shut off when it was a bit warmer last week.

That's gonna be one huge gas bill!, but hey, all utilities included in rent wink

No A/C for the summer tho frown
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 12:20 AM
Got the tents set up inside yet? wink

End of next week the highs might get above freezing.....

Still have at least one aeration system to put in too. THAT'LL be a cold one! Trenching in about 1,600' of below grade airline, then it transitions to self-sink in the pond.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 10:30 AM
Just received yesterday my new Micky Mouse boots and studs for winter hiking. I can't take falls like I used to. Best boots I ever owned and I get about 5 years of heavy hiking from a pair.

Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 10:41 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Got the tents set up inside yet? wink

End of next week the highs might get above freezing.....

Still have at least one aeration system to put in too. THAT'LL be a cold one! Trenching in about 1,600' of below grade airline, then it transitions to self-sink in the pond.

Hasn't been too bad lately. I did notice where it was the heaviest and moved stuff. Moved my puter table into the tool/stock room after a couple big drops landed right next to my keyboard. After the coffee spill I ordered a new keyboard, they sent me a used one. Sheesh, it had food and hair in it and the ribbon cable ends were all frayed. Called them up and they said they would take care of it, but haven't heard from them in a couple months now. Guess I'll send them an email today.

I think the heat is helping a bit. Doesn't seem as stuffy now.

For those going WT?, the ceiling sweats in this building and it comes thru the meager insulation, so that has to be a bit damp creating the stuffiness. Oh, they won't fix it and if you have a late model (out of production) vehicle, you may be getting service parts from here. Most of them are a tad rusty wink

You gotta go diving on that install? If so, I don't envy you wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 12:56 PM
John, are those NOS, genuine BATA brand Mickeys, or the newer knock-offs?

Micks will keep your feet warm, and build your leg muscles up at the same time. God awful heavy!
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 01:36 PM
Sprkplug

eBay <ebay@ebay.com>
SHIPPED: Bata Extreme Cold Weather Mickey Mouse Boots 8R Regular NEW.

I once got caught on a knock off and they fell apart in no time. I was wanting to get the white's which are rated at -60 but the blacks rated at -20 were just too good of a deal, and I have never had cold feet in the blacks. I like them so well that I bought my 3 adult kids Micky's 20 years ago.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Can't wait - hope for an early lock up so we can have another long ice fishing season. Last year we fished from early December through February - about 10 weeks. That's a heckuva long season for SE Nebraska.

You might be on the ice by Thanksgiving, did you see the extended forecast?

MONDAY Nov 17

Hi:14°F
Lo:5°F
Posted By: snrub Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 03:56 PM

TJ you sound like a school kid hoping for a big snow storm so school is out and don't have to go to school! smirk
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/08/14 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
You gotta go diving on that install? If so, I don't envy you wink

Nope, hopefully staying high and dry in the boat.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/09/14 02:51 AM
Patton milk house heaters work great. I do like infrared, but they don't last long.

Picked one up for Dave who is wiring up the controls. Getting tired of him hogging my heater at the puter desk.

It may be 70F at the furnaces, but it is cold as hell on the floor.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/09/14 02:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Bill

Pat W

Pat,

My wife's orchard so will be apple, peach, cherry etc. Planted over 150 of my good hardwoods so far so have to give her a small spot of land!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/09/14 05:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Bill

Pat W

Pat,

My wife's orchard so will be apple, peach, cherry etc. Planted over 150 of my good hardwoods so far so have to give her a small spot of land!

You have a good local supplier or you going the mail order route? Miller Nursery retired and sold to Stark Brothers last year.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/09/14 10:21 PM
Yep. Ordered from Stark Bros.
Posted By: jims place Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/10/14 09:20 PM
The local weather folks are saying we will experience about a 50-60 degrees temperature deference in the next 12 hours, glad I spent the weekend buttoning up the place. Looks like it's just wind and cold temps, no moisture and we need it in a bad way.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 01:02 AM
We are hoping for some rain tonight and tomorrow. Only 50% chance. We sure could use it here as well. Been turning the well pump towards the pond 1 day a week to maintain a decent level. Temps dropping. They say next week highs in low 20s and lows 10 to 12. What the heck month is this anyway? January!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 01:05 AM
High temps on 10 day is 36. Big arctic front blew in on me at the pond today scrambling to get minnows IDed, nets stored, etc. Started blowing pretty hard, think gusts up to 50 today! I am pretty sure we'll be on the hard water by Thanksgiving, which would be the earliest I can ever remember. Bring it on!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 01:08 AM
Bite your tongue on hard water by TG!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 01:11 AM
I got your back TJ.....
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 01:15 AM
Hey TJ,

Is the Corn Husker Hotel still there? I used to come to Lincoln years back all the time for work. I remember fondly sitting out a blizzard there and watching the snow out the window of the bar. It was just me and the bartender. Great guy!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 03:32 AM
The hotel is still there, and I think it's still called the Cornhusker. It's a nice place. I once watched 27" of snow fall in central park with the tender at the Benjamin Hotel - probably 8 years ago now. Was snowed in for two days, and flights cancelled for another day and a half. Nebraskans in Manhattan are somewhat of a novelty - I didn't pay for many cocktails during my stay. I love NYers...way more friendly than folks would imagine - at least to their novelty midwestern bumpkins.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 03:36 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I got your back TJ.....

And these are some of the reasons I sleep fairly well...thanks T. We'll be out there soon!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 11:52 AM
The cold hasn't hit here yet. I have one more day to get my seining done. I have a few anxious taxidermy customers that were a higher prority.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 01:08 PM
15.8 here this morning.
It's come to a screeching halt and hit a brick wall here. I have to drive up to my place today and winterize the trailer house and well. When I left there Sunday, the NWS was forecasting a low of 30 for the next week. No sweat. Now, they are showing quite a few lows in the mid to lower 20's. That will bust pipes and the cast iron housing on the pump. 70 miles each way to do something that would have taken 20 minutes.

As Sonny Corleone said "Shtoopid, just shtoopid".
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 03:59 PM
Temp is at 54.7°F here at 10:00 a.m.

The snow is supposed to go North of us, but the cold will roll in later today.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 04:01 PM
19 degrees here this morning with a light dusting of snow on the ground.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 05:03 PM
Be careful what I ask for...the 20% chance of snow hit, and covered all my firewood in the backyard I haven't had a chance to stack and cover yet. It's abundantly clear I simply will never learn.
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 06:25 PM
TJ, Mother Nature doesn't care a whit about our schedule or plans. That's why I really pay attention to the weather, and weather rules what I do outside. Farmers have to do the same - guys were combining corn fields here all night long and even this morning before the rain hit because they knew they wouldn't be able to harvest for a few days.

In the past 2 hrs the temp has dropped from 55.8°F to 42.6°F and it's still falling, with 20 mph winds and rain.
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 06:31 PM
Not all weather forcasters are right, so I look at a multitude of them to see who's closest to agreeing with each other. I feel that its my best chance of getting a correct prediction of what the next few days will be like.

I'll use (in no particular order):

www.scoutlookweather.com (mostly for wind direction and predicted winds/temp on an hourly basis)

accuweather

Weather Underground

www.intellicast.com
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/11/14 09:46 PM
TJ, Mother Nature doesn't care a whit about our schedule or plans. That's why I really pay attention to the weather, and weather rules what I do outside. Farmers have to do the same - guys were combining corn fields here all night long and even this morning before the rain hit because they knew they wouldn't be able to harvest for a few days.

In the past 2 hrs the temp has dropped from 55.8°F to 42.6°F and it's still falling, with 20 mph winds and rain.

Oh yeah amigo, enjoy what's coming...from Nebraska with love!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 12:35 AM
We're far enough east that most of that weather will track north of us. No significant snow or the cold temps like you are seeing. Highs the next week are supposed to be in the 30's.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:11 AM
Seining didn't go too well today. The weather was the least of my worries. I pumped in 75 gallons of pond water, via a sump pump and garden hose, through a basement window into a tank I have, that has an agitator mounted in the center. Problem was the pump sprang an oil leak and the tank reeked of oil. Not something I was going to put the fish in.

The pond water is 48 F. and I need to obviously aclimate them to the water in the ras tank that is 75. So I usually place them in the same water of the same temp from the pond and the water slowly warms up enough in the basement to move them to the ras tank. I add salt at 0.5 percent and Amquel Plus to eliminate possible ammonia issues as the water warms up.

So anyway I had to drain this tank and bring in water from the pond via 5 gallon buckets. About 8 trips with two buckets of about 80 lbs. No fun and I took some Ibuprofen as a prophylactic treatment for my back!

Had a lot on interuptions and finally got to the seining and ran out of daylight. Only removed about a hundred or so due to the incredible amount of filamentatious algae. Going to have to do some raking before I seine again!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:15 AM
Thank God! Cecil, I thought I was the only guy left with a bad back and worse luck! Hang in there man! The effort will be worth it and at the end of the day you will feel like you accomplished something!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:24 AM
Thanks Bill. Sorry to hear you have back issues. I just got over mine but it could be back tomorrow.

Going to have to be another day on the seining. Just hope the pond doesn't freeze over first! It's quite shallow now as I let it go down a few feet before seining. I can put four or five inches on these bluegills in the basement over the winter vs. zip in the pond.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 11:19 AM
We're far enough east that most of that weather will track north of us. No significant snow or the cold temps like you are seeing. Highs the next week are supposed to be in the 30's.

This in for Grand Haven...

...Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 1 am Thursday to 4 PM EST Friday...

The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow...which is in effect from 1 am Thursday to 4 PM EST Friday.

Hazardous weather...

* snow showers will become widespread after 1 am Thursday and continue into the early afternoon hours of Friday.

* Snowfall amounts of 5 to 9 inches area expected between 1 am Thursday and 4 PM Friday.

Impacts...

* being the first storm of the season drivers may be caught off guard slippery roads.

* Roads will become slippery due to snow and ice.

cry
Posted By: jims place Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 12:02 PM
5 to 9 inches is just a dusting for you folks up North. Or so I hear, talking 2 or 3" for this weekend for us and we will be grateful if it happens. Is it just me or does it seem a tad early even for you Northern folks to be getting that much snow?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 01:54 PM
It's early but one of the strongest typoons on record in the Pacific, pushed north, became extratropical and subsequently forced down a large mass of arctic air. Kind of an anomaly actually.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/us/severe-weather/
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:08 PM
Sure glad I didn't have a lot of bluegill in the aclimating tank in the basement or they would all have been belly up. My agitator overheated and stopped running at some point before I checked on them early this morning. I was able to clamp my 12VDC aerator on the tank as back up. Water temp is up to 59 F. from the original 48 F. I may put in an aquarium heater to speed things up a little before the battery goes flat. Or take one off my ras power back up inverter.

Had a back up agitator but I fried it last year by being stupid. Didn't mount it securely enough in the tank and it fell in sometime during the night (outside) and actually melted the cord. Strangely the fish in the tank were fine! Must have been the GFI on the outlet.

There is some algae wrapped around the paddle inside the screen that may have made the present agitator work too hard. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the bolts off that secure the screen to get at the paddle as they are too corroded. There are no stainless steel bolts on this thing! When I get them off you can bet they will be replaced with stainless steel!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:38 PM
14 degrees here this morning...

They are forecasting a low of 11 degrees tomorrow morning and a low of 8 degrees Friday morning.

With the wind blowing and super cooling the pond this weather anomaly might take a toll on my RES. eek
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty
14 degrees here this morning...

They are forecasting a low of 11 degrees tomorrow morning and a low of 8 degrees Friday morning.

With the wind blowing and super cooling the pond this weather anomaly might take a toll on my RES. eek

Hope not!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:51 PM
Cecil, angle grinder or dremel and cut the bolts off. Then replace them. Cutting thru one side of the nut ususlly will loosen it enough to allow you to put a wrench or socket on it to turn it.

The storm dumped between 18" and 20" of snow up where we deer hunt. It won't be fun walking through knee deep snow during hunting season.....
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 02:55 PM
I've got a dremel but just need to get a bit to cut the nut. Was going to see if the hardware store had one since I have a vehicle today due to the wife being home sick.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 04:11 PM
Our low temp at 0665 was 9. Pond is pretty much frozen over though there is still open water in various areas.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 07:11 PM
Won't be long now D - can't wait to see you and Stick's photos soon.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 07:58 PM
The storm dumped between 18" and 20" of snow up where we deer hunt. It won't be fun walking through knee deep snow during hunting season.....

Just on the radio that Marquette County in the UP got dumped on with 42.5" and more coming.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 09:04 PM
Mail's here. Things are looking up! Here's to hoping the bottom falls out of the thermometer.

Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: jims place
5 to 9 inches is just a dusting for you folks up North. Or so I hear, talking 2 or 3" for this weekend for us and we will be grateful if it happens. Is it just me or does it seem a tad early even for you Northern folks to be getting that much snow?

Actually, anything can happen in November up here. Usually into December before things start piling up, but have been hit on a number of occasions in November.

Nice thing, the way it looks, is the snow will be blowing North and South of where my property is so I can get a few more things done this weekend. Most recent a few minutes ago is possibly a light dusting from this, just a few flakes. I hope!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/12/14 11:20 PM
It's really a roll of the dice on the weather this time of the year.

We go to Northern Wi. every year for the opener of firearms deer season. Every year it's the Saturday before Thanksgiving. In the past 10-12 years we've had 60+°F days and days where we were lucky the temp got up into double digits for a high. Some years there is no snow, other years like this year, there will be 18" to 24" of snow on the ground.

Back in the late mid to late '70's I don't think the temp got above 0°F and at night it sounded like there were hunters in the woods, shooting. The temp was cold enough that the trees were freezing and popping apart. I think the temp was between -25°F and -30°F at night. I know that the cabin that we stayed in was up off the ground on blocks, with an oil heater in it. The snow and ice melted off the boots and froze on the lineolium floor, inside the cabin.
Hear about the 2 soldiers walking guard duty in Thule Greenland in a blizzard. The first one said, "Man, it's cold.". The other one answered "Sure is, aren't you glad you're not In Amarillo, Texas tonight?".

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/13/14 06:34 AM
Mail's here. Things are looking up! Here's to hoping the bottom falls out of the thermometer.

T whats your favorite waxie dealer? I've used a few now, and haven't been very happy with any of them. Those look plump and healthy.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/13/14 11:59 AM
Yee Haa... 1st day of road skating!

Not much snow yet, but on the east-west roads, it melted and froze.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/13/14 12:22 PM
Not waxies TJ....spikes. These came from Ja-Da bait. I can find waxies locally, but nobody carries maggies in these parts!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/13/14 04:21 PM
Tony, a local bait shop has (or at least they did last year) spikes in uncolored, red, green and blue varients.

I could even buy a "mixed lot" too.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/13/14 05:47 PM
Huh, those looked like waxies. I got some spikes last year, didn't last long, hardly used them before they started going bad. Waxies lasted two months...I'll look into Jada - thanks. Hope your temps plummet!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/13/14 11:29 PM
I drove by 6 small ponds on the way home tonight, all of them were completely skimmed over. My little pond however was only 80% skimmed over. Have you checked your pond TJ?
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 12:34 AM
Huh, those looked like waxies.

Those look like something from a Chinese Buffet! Just need some sauce! wink
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 06:24 AM
No, I'm headed out tomorrow to do some farm work now that temps and wind will finally allow. Also have to move another cord from the cribs back to the homestead and stack and cover before more snow Saturday. I imagine my arms are skimmed, main pond still open until we get a nice calm night. I bet we are fishing on the hard water by Wednesday...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 02:08 PM
I think I may be screwed on my bluegill harvest this year from the pond. Waited and waited for two high schools to cycle their tanks and they're still not cycled yet. No idea why it's taking them so long. They started at the beginning of the school year. Anyway although I have one RAS tank available in the basement for the pond fingerling gills, the other is occupied by 5 to 8 inch yellow perch destined for the schools. I was hoping to grade the newly harvested 1 to 4 inch gills in both tanks as there is a big size difference. So I delayed seining the pond.

Anyway the pond is not only seriously infested wirh FA which makes sucessful seining next to impossible, but now the pond is ice covered. I'm going to wait for a moderation in temps (hopefully that will happen) and pump the pond down to almost nothing and hope to salvage as many bluegills as I can by scooping up fish on the deep end (the pond is sloped to one end).There are some really tubby saucer shaped 3 to 4 inch YOY in the pond. It would be ashame to lose them.

Live and learn! Next year the schools will get live media at the beginning of rhe school year (I have enough systems now where I can spare 2 cubic feet per school) and it looks like I will have to treat the pond with a granular algaecide prior to seining, or even not long after I fill the ponds to prevent the FA from getting the upper hand over the planktonic algae.

Not crazy about using a copper based product in a fingerly production pond but not sure if I have a choice.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 02:37 PM
It got down to a balmy 3 degrees here this morning which didn't feel all that bad as the wind wasn't blowing.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 02:43 PM
It was 24 here this morning, but the wind finally stopped. It easily seems like it's 20 degrees warmer. Even the deer have been hunkered down with our 15-20 mph winds. This morning I've seen 19 moving around on our property. I guess they didn't like the wind either.

So, I need insulated rubber boots. Anybody have the insulated Mucks, or other insulated rubber boots they'd recommend?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 02:54 PM
I am real close to buying a pair of Muck Arctic Pros. I tried them on and was quite impressed. Those who have them seem very satisfied also.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 03:02 PM
Dang Cecil that's too bad. Been wonderin with the quick drop in temps what ya were gonna do. Is there a reason ya can't leave the BG in the big pond to overwinter? Are ya just all filled up and depend on the high school ras for room? Wish I had an extra pond ta lend ya but I ain't like the wealthy guys on here with many bow. Hope all turns out well and if it don't tough shirt!! Yer friend (ha ha), Bob-O
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 03:46 PM
Thanks Tony. I've got a couple of pair of regular Mucks, and love them.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 03:56 PM
I bought a pair of CA made Baffin Titans last year for ice fishing - I think they are similar to the Artic Pros but half the price. I have not worn them on the ice yet - bought them near the end of the season to replace a pair of leaky Ice Armor boots.

I hear great things about the Arctic Pros though for those who must earn a living in the cold - I don't think you can go wrong with them. The absolute warmest I've ever read about is the Cabelas Saskatchewans - but they are pretty pricey. Hell Al, if I lived in TX I'd be in flip flops year round!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Dang Cecil that's too bad. Been wonderin with the quick drop in temps what ya were gonna do. Is there a reason ya can't leave the BG in the big pond to overwinter? Are ya just all filled up and depend on the high school ras for room? Wish I had an extra pond ta lend ya but I ain't like the wealthy guys on here with many bow. Hope all turns out well and if it don't tough shirt!! Yer friend (ha ha), Bob-O

I may fill it back up if the scooping doesn't work, but it will mean the fish will loose out on 3 or 4 inches of growth over the winter if I don't get them inside. I've done the drain and scoop before and if I can salvage at least a thousand I'll call it good.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 04:33 PM
I bought a pair of CA made Baffin Titans last year for ice fishing - I think they are similar to the Artic Pros but half the price. I have not worn them on the ice yet - bought them near the end of the season to replace a pair of leaky Ice Armor boots.

I hear great things about the Arctic Pros though for those who must earn a living in the cold - I don't think you can go wrong with them. The absolute warmest I've ever read about is the Cabelas Saskatchewans - but they are pretty pricey. Hell Al, if I lived in TX I'd be in flip flops year round! Sissy...

I'm a girl, I've admitted it. I actually wore socks with my Berks this week. That's what made me decide to get some more arctic friendly slides.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 05:36 PM
I am real close to buying a pair of Muck Arctic Pros. I tried them on and was quite impressed. Those who have them seem very satisfied also.

I have a pair of authentic white Mickey's. And an Air Force parka and parka pants. The Air Force spoiled me!

You can actually get ice water in a pair of Mickey's and your feet will warm up the water. Been there done that.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/14/14 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

I hear great things about the Arctic Pros though for those who must earn a living in the cold - I don't think you can go wrong with them. The absolute warmest I've ever read about is the Cabelas Saskatchewans - but they are pretty pricey. Hell Al, if I lived in TX I'd be in flip flops year round! Sissy...

I'm a girl, I've admitted it. I actually wore socks with my Berks this week. That's what made me decide to get some more arctic friendly slides.

I hope they were black dress socks, and you were mowing the lawn, and a car full of teenaged girls drove by laughing their arses off?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 11:10 AM

I hope they were black dress socks, and you were mowing the lawn, and a car full of teenaged girls drove by laughing their arses off?

No mowing or black socks. I leave my one pair of black socks in a sandwich bag for emergencies.

Actually, this cold snap hit us at a perfect time. The oaks will start changing color in mass, and it's beautiful down here when they do.
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 11:34 AM
Weather service says it's 11°F where I'll be sitting in a tree in 1/2 hr. Good practice for Wi. I guess! Supposed to get 1"-2" of snow this afternoon too. I just wish the wind would slow down.

Then they are saying it's supposed to get cold next week, with the cold temps reaching all the way down to Texas and Florida.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 01:04 PM
Multiple reports at first light. Deermageddon 2014 is under way.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 01:09 PM
10 degrees this morning. Pond has skin of ice. Time to turn on the aerator.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 01:28 PM
10 degrees this morning. Pond has skin of ice. Time to turn on the aerator.

Why so soon? Or are you wanting to keep the pond open for another reason? Fish wise, they should be doing fine right now.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 01:43 PM
Its so cold the deer are wearing bear skin coats. 21 degrees here now with "yuck" predicted to start falling tomorrow through Tuesday morning.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 01:44 PM
I have zero vegetation and worried about dropping DO. How thick of ice will a aerator open up?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 02:06 PM
I suppose it depends upon the aerator, but I can open a hole in 4" in just a few hours.

In my opinion, If you have no vegetation and the pond locks up, then I believe it would be a matter of how much O2 was present in the water, Vs. the biomass that depended upon it for survival, as to how long it could go before bad things began to happen. The first skim ice wouldn't bother me, but I personally see nothing wrong with aeration all through the winter, as long as you have shallow water diffusers.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 02:11 PM

Ditto. One sounded close enough to be on my property.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 02:15 PM
Thanks sparkplug. My aerator can pump 4.5 CFM. My winter diffuser is in one end of the pond in 4 feet of water. The pond is only 1/4 acre and I just stocked 10 pounds FHM, 25 YP 5 to 7 and 100 PS 2 to 3 a couple weeks ago. I already had FHM, BG, CC and SMB. I am guessing I am around 75 pounds.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 02:52 PM
There should be a very good winter aeration article by 'esshup' (Scott) and Cody in the Jan-Feb 2015 Pond Boss magazine. The magazine has the article waiting for editorial proofing.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 03:54 PM

I'll be out in the wood's shortly doing other things. Glad the tractor is Orange.

Not a flake of snow on the ground up there, but it's coming tonight.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 03:58 PM
Apparently they're not paying attention to the calendar wink

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 05:19 PM
I suppose it depends upon the aerator, but I can open a hole in 4" in just a few hours.

In my opinion, If you have no vegetation and the pond locks up, then I believe it would be a matter of how much O2 was present in the water, Vs. the biomass that depended upon it for survival, as to how long it could go before bad things began to happen. The first skim ice wouldn't bother me, but I personally see nothing wrong with aeration all through the winter, as long as you have shallow water diffusers.

Sparkplug,

Found this from Ted Lea in an old thread

Move one station into approx 4 ft of water this fall, continue to run the system until average daily highs are apprx 40 ish for a week (could be Thanksgiving timeframe) and then shut off. If thin ice is ever a concern then leave shut down until 1st of April.If ice and snow cover with snow being the deciding factor go for 3-4 weeks without a problem as mentioned before as your fish will require smaller amounts of oxygen at that time and your supply will be high from colder temps.If you clear snow for skating your O2 will be fine as even without many plants yet you will have planktonic algae that will produce favorable levels of oxygen.If you need to blow a hole in the ice then figure the shallow diffuser will melt approx 6 inches per 24 hours at the 4 ft depth.Be sure the deeper station is shut off.

With this input, along with your advice, I am leaving the aerator off for now. I can see the pond from my office and if I get a lot of snow this winter or really thick ice on the pond I can turn it on by just flipping a switch here in the house.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/15/14 05:52 PM

No mowing or black socks. I leave my one pair of black socks in a sandwich bag for emergencies.

Actually, this cold snap hit us at a perfect time. The oaks will start changing color in mass, and it's beautiful down here when they do.

Please post some photos of the oaks as they turn...
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/16/14 01:42 AM

I was at my place all day outside working on stuff, even thru prime time till dark, and didn't even hear one shot.

This is North of M46 and all rifle territory, but was totally silent, which is quite unusual. You could hear any decent rifle you're allowed to hunt with for miles around here, but nothing.

Pretty strange this year for opening day of firearms.

Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/16/14 03:08 PM
Yep, 3/4 acre pond right out my back door is all iced over.

Don't know what that plow jockey is doing in the parking lot tho. Scraping his blade on asphalt wink

You'll have to understand that people who plow snow, get the itch and just have to get out, and some people who plow snow charge for every time they show up, even if there is no snow. Oh yes, it happens!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/16/14 04:27 PM
Temps warmed by the end of the day to the high 20's. It started snowing here about an hour ago and everything has about 1/2" on it. I took a button buck to the check station (shot it because someone wounded it during archery season) and he said that 49 deer were checked, and mine was the only one done on-line. He processes deer too. Usually he'll have 100 deer thru there opening day.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/16/14 05:29 PM
From what I am hearing, it seems a tad light on takes.

Pretty sure the boss will have a story that develops over a weeks time. What I mean by that is initially he will say I got one, but it takes about a week to get the real story out of him wink
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/16/14 06:50 PM
"mine was the only done on line" What does that mean?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/16/14 09:13 PM
Some states allow you to check in on line a deer that you have harvested. One could no doubt even use a smart phone to do it. Still a lot of things to learn.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/16/14 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
"mine was the only done on line" What does that mean?

Two tin cans and a string wink
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 04:40 AM
Oops, I meant to say "mine was the only one checked in on-line". You have the option of checking in your deer on-line or in person.

If you do it on-line, you get a registration number that is specific to that particular deer. If it's done in person, they attach a metal tag to the deer that has to stay with that deer until it is consumed. (it's taped to one of the processed packages of meat).

Bill, yes, a smart phone or a computer. You can call it in, but it costs you $5 to do it that way. No fee doing it on-line or taking it in to a check station.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 12:52 PM
Gotta wonder how accurate the online check in is for annual deer harvest. OTOH I'm not sure how accurate the deer check station was as there is no incentive for accuracy. I've seen more than once where the accuracy was up to the hunter and no one at the deer check station even went out to look at the deer. This was back when I did gameheads as a taxidermist.

Last I knew the deer check stations here in Indiana are not compensated. Is that still true Scott?
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 03:06 PM
I'm so old school that I can't keep up with technology. I know I should but it's real aggravating sometimes.
My friends and I always butchered our own deer and we had lots of those metal bands hangin on a nail. One yr my kids got on me about not havin a X-mass tree so I went out and cut down the scraggliest pine I could find and set it up in the trailer. I got all those tags and hung em all over that tree and told the kids "THERE"
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 04:04 PM
Cecil, correct. The telephone check-in costs $5 but if you take it to a check station it's free, and the check station doesn't get any $$ for doing it. That's why there are so few check stations - when the state dropped the $1/deer that the check stations received, many said the heck with it. Ross's does it because he's a processor - it's a loss leader so to speak.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 05:59 PM
Do the math. Most have cell phones and it would be more of a convenience over the phone to check in rather than driving to a check station and waste more time. If it cost 5 bucks to check in over the phone, and the previous was a buck at a check station, potential of 5x the $$. They don't change these rules for nothing.

I think the ice is here to stay. It's not getting any warmer out, and now getting some snow cover over the previously formed ice. Crappy ice like last year. A big hunk of Spring Lake is freezing over.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 06:04 PM
IIRC the state paid the check in station, not the guy checkin em in. Scott you will probably know if that is correct.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 06:25 PM
That would make sense with what esshup and you said. Now do the math!
Had to break through anywhere from a quarter inch to an inch and a half of ice on Saturday to sink my Geothermal loop that for some reason floated to the surface... Wish I would have seen it when I move the diffusers... The pond was all but maybe a 10 x 20 foot open last evening.. I did run the well for awhile trying to open the ice but is wasn't going fast enough for me because I wanted tot get back to the woods..

Sat yesterday morning with the bow until 9:45 then was back in the stand at 11:30 until dark.. I don't normally get cold, but the feet must be showing some age because they have been getting a little chilled...
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/17/14 11:59 PM
IIRC, your a youngun. Give yerself another 30 yrs... feet ain't the only thing that gets colder quickly !!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/18/14 12:54 AM
Broke through 1" of ice on a pond today to put in a winter aeration system. That was fun. wink Slide the aluminum boat out on the ice, get in the boat, use an ice spud to shove it out even further, break thru the ice, measure water depth to put the diffuser in the water at the proper height, have a guy on shore pull on the rope that is attached to the boat and chop through the ice the whole way back to get the airline to sink to the bottom of the pond. Put in 4 diffusers that way, about one every 45 minutes.....

20°F with a constant 20 mph wind.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/18/14 01:34 AM
You crack me up! Only thing that would make that story better is if you had waited till dark and done it by lantern light!
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/18/14 01:35 AM
I walked to work this morning. It was cold and windy just like you had.

Got out of bed, walked to the kitchen and made a pot of coffee, then sat down at the table and turned my computer on. Nice and warm all day long laugh
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/18/14 01:38 AM
Same routine for me this morning except waited till wife made the coffee and then got up!
Posted By: esshup Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/18/14 04:52 AM
You crack me up! Only thing that would make that story better is if you had waited till dark and done it by lantern light!

By the time I got home it was dark. So I donned the LED headlamp and made sure the ceramic heater and insulation was in it's winter home in the pump house. Without that, the bladder tank for the house would freeze. I also filled up the cart and brought wood to the house for the fireplace insert.

13°F out, 74°F inside without having the furnace kick on. grin

My winter aeration system is already in my pond, this was at a clients place. wink

The weather person on TV just said it'd be 50°F on Sunday.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/18/14 05:00 AM
Other than the ice and cold, how did those diffusers go in? Any design issues?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/18/14 01:24 PM
There is always something left to do when winter hits. Dug through a foot of snow and covered up the last rose bush.
Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/20/14 12:24 AM
Just don't seem to be letting up around here.

November winds are normal, but not the temps. and the snow.

Well respected meteorologist in the area for as long as I can remember (years) said this is like January weather, which that's exactly what I thought before he even said that.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/20/14 12:52 AM
Same here. Temp in the teens this afternoon with 35 MPH winds. A few neighbors dropped by for coffee. Definitely happy I put this big fireplace in the new house. It will take 36 inch logs easily. I had a nice fire roaring away when they came in out of the weather and they really appreciated sitting on the hearth to take the chill off!
Just be glad you aren't in Buffalo.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/20/14 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
There is always something left to do when winter hits. Dug through a foot of snow and covered up the last rose bush.

A foot of snow? Sounds like the bush was already well covered. Were your snowflakes not properly aligned arranged to suit your precise senses??? laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/20/14 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: Dwight

A foot of snow? Sounds like the bush was already well covered. Were your snowflakes not properly aligned arranged to suit your precise senses??? laugh laugh laugh

grin
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/21/14 02:54 AM
Just got pounded by a brief 3 hour shot of Lake Erie lake effect snow. It is very rare for it to make it this far east. Those three hours gave us 8 inches and I drove through the heart of it trying to get home tonight. Thank God I have a 'RU.

Possible heading off to Buffalo tomorrow to help shovel off and try to score some NFL tickets to the game. Our church is organizing a gathering with another church to help out folks who are home-bound.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/21/14 08:18 PM
Charging.

Posted By: JKB Re: Brrrrrrrr - looks like fall is over - 11/21/14 10:14 PM
Ice getting thick?

With the heat wave (actually just normal temps) and rain coming, most around here will probably melt.

It was nice that the sun was for a big chunk of the day.

There have been a few areas around here setting records for low's. Some dating way back.
© Pond Boss Forum